• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

*wistful sigh*

It's a slow time of year here, it seems. Winter is grinding to a halt, but it's still a little cold to put my babies outside. I have plenty of flowers on some plants, but no viable chilis at the moment. It's like they can tell it's not quite time yet.

Things drag on... a couple of months, and you can be outside, my preccccioussssssses.

Started planting new seeds about a month ago. All of the plants from the previous year are still producing....except the Nagas that died. :sick: But I just planted a few more seeds of that one.

Started my seeds last weekend. Second planting of the naga's unfortunately, the first batch was a complete loss, no sprouts:( So I'm going to try one more time with the naga seeds before I call them junk. All my other varieties should come in though, the naga's were the only ones that were unproven this year.

My 2 plants that I am wintering are still producing though so that's always a good thing!:sick:

A green chili on my Hidalgo went red yesterday! I left for work, and it was green as it had been for weeks and weeks. I come home: Bright red. Woot!

( I was lying about "no vialbe chilis", there was the one green one on the hidalgo. no others, promise)

Heh. OK, will do.
I lied twice: turns out I also had a viable pepper on another plant as well (Ring Of Fire, I think) plant which went from green for a loooooong time to black, to red. And it's growing horizontally to the plant. I'll take some pictures of the chilis. They're probably not that hot, so not worth pictures of me eating them :)

P_Schneider said:
Started my seeds last weekend. Second planting of the naga's unfortunately, the first batch was a complete loss, no sprouts:( So I'm going to try one more time with the naga seeds before I call them junk. All my other varieties should come in though, the naga's were the only ones that were unproven this year.

My 2 plants that I am wintering are still producing though so that's always a good thing!:rolleyes:

I ordered some seed last year from the UK...got all of them up...6 plants with 2 seeds per container. I did soak the seeds in warm water for a little over an hour...I also tried scarifying some of the seeds very carefully with a knife...that also worked very well.

Let me know if you want to try some of my seeds. They are second generation Naga Dorset (Naga Morich.) Had them come up in a little over 2 weeks.

Rock on,

Primo

P_Schneider said:

My 2 plants that I am wintering are still producing though so that's always a good thing!:rolleyes:

Be sure not to give up too soon on the seeds. I planted about 80 seeds 2 months ago. Most came up in the first two weeks but the rest have taken anywhere from 2-8 weeks. I just had another one (an ornamental) which I thought was a dud poke through the surface yesterday (8 weeks).

Also be sure to keep them warm (on a radiator, heating pad, etc).

Shooty* said:
It's a slow time of year here, it seems. Winter is grinding to a halt, but it's still a little cold to put my babies outside...Things drag on... a couple of months, and you can be outside, my preccccioussssssses.

don't worry Shooty you'll get your two months of Spring and Summer soon :rolleyes:

2 weeks, I think you mean :)
My parents have a place in spain... I may have to smuggle some seedlings out next time I go. THey have auto-irrigation stuff for their orange trees and olive trees, so I could plant them near water.

It's been an exciting week. The veg my wife planted was growing shoots within about 1 day, and they're all about 2 inchs tall now. remarkable, really.

However, all my chili plants have decided that enough is enough, and they are now flowering like CRAZY. The only problem is that they're in small pots, so they dry out uber quick. I'm repotting this weekend and will put them outside.

RedThumb said:
Be sure not to give up too soon on the seeds. I planted about 80 seeds 2 months ago. Most came up in the first two weeks but the rest have taken anywhere from 2-8 weeks. I just had another one (an ornamental) which I thought was a dud poke through the surface yesterday (8 weeks).

Also be sure to keep them warm (on a radiator, heating pad, etc).

Cool, I will keep them going then. I have a couple weeks before the other peppers get their real leaves so the tray can stay right on top of the seed mat for now.

Primo - I might take you up on that, lets see if these are truly duds. On the bright side, I now have 4 Savina's that came up along with about 90% of everything else.

Update: Well, have repotted, but, bless 'em, all my plants have been brought up inside and are not prepared for the wind outside!

The poblano, anahiem and jalapeno varieties seem quite strong... the hidalgo and ring of fire are firming up nicely... but the jamaican red mushrooms are very slender, green, delicate plants. Have had to support them with canes.

Back