• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter Sowing Hots

Hi fellow Chile Heads,

Just getting into wintersowing and am wondering if this methods works for hot peppers. Everything I have read says for germination and heat rates, warmer temps is it.

Has anyone done this method with great success?

Thank you muchly.

I'm new to the game also, but I planted some hab seeds on Dec. 17, and I now have about 6 sprouts. So far it's working for me. Good luck lady.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the OP's request, but I'm assuming by wintersowing, you mean outdoors and dormant until they're ready?

I think it may work for fast growers like anuum, but chinenses, especially in NH, will sprout too late and will not grow to a decent size. For chinenses it takes so long until maturity that you absolutely need healthy fairly large-sized transplants in the beginning of the season.

You could try using black plastic mulch in the spring to warm the soil up and sow anuum's in the ground.

Not sure about your climate but I needto start my chiles 3-5 months before last frost to get a much needed early start

I would say stick around the 84-89 degree F range. I think thats the general consensus. Its worked for ME so far!

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. AlabamaJack has posted a graph that shows how the temperature affects germination rates, the idea temp was 86 degrees F if I remember correctly, but you should be good within that range.

Since you're in NH, you definitely need to get an early start on the chinense varieties since our growing season is relatively short for these varieties.

Back