• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter on Horizon - bored

It gets dark here by 6:00, at least on overcast days. The air is chilly, no snowfall to go shovel or play in. Not much else to do but to plan for next year.

Keep in mind, I'm the eternal optimist, the kid who walk into a room full of manure and figure there is a pony (or a calf!) there waiting for me.

So this is my mad plan for this winter, next spring.

Buy 5 288-cell plant starting trays. Will fit in less than 8 sq. ft. and costs only $13.

Once they get three sets of leaves, transplant them. 30 36-cell trays ($54) and 300 3" plastic pots ($105).

I'll need eight 105-watt CFL lights @ $25 ea. - $200. Add in the seeds (~$100) and the electricity to grow them for 2.5 months ($100) and I'm up to total costs of less than $500. That's a chunk of change, at least for me, though I already have some of the stuff I need.

But, on the optimistic side, I'll have over 1,300 plants to sell and I hope to average $3 per plant. So I'll make a decent return on investment.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

This will give me 1,380 plants to sell

Well good luck.damn 1300 hundred i`m impressed.I`m try to grow 27 and the bugs are killing me.keep us up and have a good one.

Coming up with 1,440 plants:

Tomatoes (from 36-180 of each variety):
Brandywine
Green Sausage
Red Zebra
Beefsteak
Golden Monarch
Fox Cherry
Roma
Red Delicious
Illinois
Buckbee's Early

Cucumber:
Sikkim
Some regular one

Peppers:
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Habanero
HH Wax
Bhut Jolokia
Banana
Bell (two types)

Tomatillo Verde

Sweet Basil
Thai Basil

Maybe a couple of other plants.

I can make it through this winter. I can make it through this winter. I can make it through this winter. I can make it through this winter. I can make it through this winter.

Mike

imaguitargod said:
YOU FOOL!!!!

Sorry, I've always wanted to say that an optimist....hehehe

Yeah, but I'm a happy fool! I hope to add the reflective foil to my chamber tomorrow as well as install three more outlets. I should have the lights by Thursday or Friday. My babies, once they sprout, should be bathed in light, at least 4,600 lumens for each and every leaf to soak up.

Mike

Mike its how my Brother and cousin started in the vegetable business,Many years ago selling plants to friends and now both are commercial growers,You have my best regards to give you a start,Have you considered,Radishes,Asparagus,Pak choi..just trying to make your growing area the size of the pentagon :shocked:

Talas,

I wish I had a couple of acres - I would have enough produce growing to stock a supermarket. Radishes, onions, lettuce and Sweet Peas in early spring; green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, tomatillos and eggplants in the summer; potatoes in late summer and early fall, along with some more cold weather plants. As it is, I only have 1200 sq. ft. or so.

Mike

talas said:
Mike its how my Brother and cousin started in the vegetable business,Many years ago selling plants to friends and now both are commercial growers...

And why have you not quit your job to join them? Hhaha

If I had a massive greenhouses, acres of farmland, etc., I'd love to be the next Cross Country Nurseries or Chilewoman. I'm sure it's not an essy living, but it would be fun. It's what I enjoy the most. :lol:

I certainly have the stock for it. Dreams are fun. I bet it's a tough way to make a living and diversifying into different veggies / flowers is super important as well. I could do the tomatoes too!

Chris

Chris,

Farming isn't that hard work. Not easy, but it's like any other job, one gets use to it. This was not an average day, but:
Get up at 8 am, start hoeing tobacco at 9:00. It got into the 90s. Eat lunch at noon, at 1:00 start hauling in hay. Work until 6:00.
While eating, a friend knocks at the door and wants to know if I will help haul in hay for them, start at 7. Take break at 10 and eat some watermelon. Then, haul in oats, that had been rained on (90+ pounds per bale). Instead of using an elevator, throw the bales into the loft which was a foot above my head and two feet from the wagon. Get done at 11:30 and drive home.
Get a shower, go to bed and not have any trouble sleeping!

The worst thing I disliked about farming was the weather. There was nothing we could do to control it. Too much rain in the spring and the seeds or young plants rot. Not enough rain in the summer and they wither. A hailstorm and you have a lot of material for a compost pile. Get too much rainy weather in the fall and the crops harvested rot.

That's why I didn't go into farming.

Mike

I have quasi-formulated my plans on what I want to grow next year. This is not the same as the seeds I want to sow, these are the plants I want to raise in my backyard. I managed to keep the number under 500, though by the time I add in the peppers that I am overwintering and plan on growing in containers next year, I'll probably be at about 525. Some of them I will double or triple sow, with a spring and fall crop and maybe a summer one also. Among them are the peas, lettuce, cukes and beans.

2009growlist.jpg

Mike

Back