• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter Grow - How would you?

How would you winter grow out doors?  Green house and heat the thing or go a bit more exotic with partially underground structure.

I'm the wrong person to be answering this, but if I was doing this myself, I wouldn't re-invent the wheel. There's people in the U.S. growing weed 365 days a year. Since it's legal in many states now, you can see how they're doing it, and adapt it for peppers.

dragonsfire said:
Im looking at polly tunnel, solar heater would be essential, still looking into it.

My poly tunnel gives me an extra month each way (fall and spring) with no heat.  Give a google to something like "High Tunnel Kentucky State University" and you can find some great free plans.  Lots of wind here, so I went with their cheapest approach but added poles concreted into the ground.  I am three years with high wind, bad storms, and very little damage.

If you cant find the plans, give me a PM and I will find them for you.  Also, follow the link in my signiture and use the article search there for "high tunnel" and you can find how i modified the plans, photos, and like that.

Hoping to build a second this winter.  Would be cool to build together and compare notes.

If i had the money i would like to try a half deep or full depth concrete foundation covered with a green house top. Solar water heaters and insulated under floor/ground storage tanks for the heated water. Use as much "off the grid" energy as possible for things like water circulation and air flow.

Back