• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum What is corking on Jalapeno's

I've been reading some older post on Jalapeno varieties. Some say their
peppers have nice corking. Why is this preferred over a smooth Jalapeno?

I asked this very question not long ago...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/16004-educate-a-newb-genetic-trait-or-conditional-reaction/

Thank you Eephus Man. I forgot about doing a search. If you think
those are cool peppers, then you would think the rheza pepper from
macedonia is cool. It has corking just like that except it is a bigger
pepper that you pick when red. It's very hot and sweet.

Thank you Eephus Man. I forgot about doing a search. If you think
those are cool peppers, then you would think the rheza pepper from
macedonia is cool. It has corking just like that except it is a bigger
pepper that you pick when red. It's very hot and sweet.

This is corking on chiles.......many chiles beside xalapas do this.

Corked red xalapa chiles bring higher prices in markets. It is seen as a mark of maturity and flavor and I can confirm this.

mex.jpg

Interesting willard. . A couple years ago I had two Jalapeno plants that had that corking.
I thought there was something wrong with them and threw those peppers out. They
were loaded with peppers too. I know better now.

I'll just say that on one particularly horribly variety of jalapeno (which I mentioned in one of my past threads), there was not even the slightest amount of corking. It looked like plastic... like a kid's toy, instead of the real deal. It really seemed like it had a "fake" look to it. The first of that particular variety exploded as it began to ripen, which pissed me off to the point of immediately pulling the entire plant out of the ground and tossing it to the curb, so I can't comment on flavor. But most of the other jalapeno varieties I've grown more than made up for it. They were all smaller, but they ripened properly without exploding and were all far more attractive because they at least had *some* corking.

The corky look in Jalapenos was always desired in Mexico and fetched higher prices but not so much in America. Now the Americans are also desiring that look more often.
My boss at work almost threw his Jalapeno plant out too because he thought it had a disease, but he was also waiting for it to turn red which it never did, until I told him that that was normal in some varieties and that green is sometimes the preferred colour for fresh Jalapenos.

Back