• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Using Molasses as a Fertilizer

I did say that there are many contradictory statements regarding this fatty alcohol didn't I ;). I will post some research regarding plant hormones which was published in 2011 later when I get off this dam phone and this train.
Yeah you are right Patrick it certainly helps plant growth and is a big reason I advocate lucern mulch as an amendment to garden beds.
As for what I have studied ... ecology, geography, geology, GIS, resource and town planning, CAD, and visual arts and design (not all at once obviously ;D ). Also some lower level (1st year university) Horticulture study and currently work in oil and gas. Plus 18 years growing up on a back country new Zealand farm

You know the saying though Jack of many trades ....master of none ;) :rofl:

http://www.plantphys.../4/986.full.pdf

ARE TRIA AND/OR 9-0-L(+)-ADENOSINE HORMONES?
Neither TRIA nor TRIM can be classified as plant hormones if the requirements of Jacobs (6) are invoked. Even
though both compounds are endogenous in plants, they are
ubiquitous, thus no plant organ can be removed leading to
the cessation of the response. Although many specific responses have been demonstrated for TRIA, none has been
shown to be directly responsible for the increase in growth
caused by this chemical.
Supporting the idea that TRIA and/or L(+)-adenosine eventually may be designated as hormones is the fact that both
are active at picomolar concentrations, which is well below
the optimum concentrations used for other plant hormones.
In addition, L(+)-adenosine moves rapidly throughout plants
(18).
Animal physiologists do not agree on whether or not adenosine is a hormone (13, 14). One of the reasons for the lack
of agreement is that adenosine has such diverse effects on
animals.

http://www4.ncsu.edu...ure1BWprint.pdf

No where here (or on any other plant hormone site or publication) are fatty alcohols referred to as plant hormones.

http://link.springer...?LI=true#page-1

(you'll have to look at the abstract to see reference to triacontanol as a growth stimulant with effect on endogenous plant hormones)

Anyway I have made my point and from reading plenty of literature you can see that's its a very worthwhile growth stimulant especially as it can be applied as an organic amendment in its natural form in alfalfa (Lucerne)

Maybe one day it will be classified as a hormone Armac but as it stands it is not yet. Thanks for the lively debate and lets hope someone else other then us have learnt something :D ;)

You have your references and I have mine, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Only thing I learned is that on the internet you can locate scholarly articles that are not in alignment, nothing more.

http://www.dowagro.com/india/acp/miraculan.htm

http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/liquid-fertilisers/nutri-stim-triacontanol.html

From Link Below
1-Triacontanol, furthermore, is not an established plant hormone, and structurally cannot compete for the receptor sites of these plant hormones (a plant hormone is a chemical compound which is synthesized at one site within the plant and transferred to a different site where growth activity is influenced in a specific way).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4470840.html

A few more links from some product pages to balance the scholarly articles

Anyway .... :banghead: trying to teach an old dog with blinkers new tricks is tiresome on a Monday ... or at anytime ... I will leave it there and people can make up their own mind I guess I was never intending this to get down to this level of detail I was simply initially making a statement expanding on Armac's "Dope Growers" reference ... although it would seem that it extends beyond 420 and into the greater Agricultural industries as well ... :cheers: :clap:

Thanks for the links and info Trippa. I may have to break out my dictionary to understand all of it.

Rodney I respect your opinion. Whether it's classified as a hormone or a fatty alcohol the bottom line is it's beneficial to growing peppers and that was the entire point of me starting this thread. Didn't want to get into a debate about labels.

One more tip from me on this. There are several types of molasses and in my reading I'm finding most knowledgeable people recommend unsulfured cane blackstrap molasses. However if the sugar beet stuff is cheaper then by all means go for it. Not enough nutritional difference in the two to justify spending more money.

You know Patrick, when I first posted that hormone comment, it was only because of some casual reading I did on the marijuana growing boards. In addition when you go to ebay and search plant growth hormone, it comes back with listing for triaconatol. I had recently considered purchasing this PGR, stimulant, hormone, or whatever it is classed to go along with my other growing supplements. I really had no idea if it really was a hormone or what it was, I just argued whenever Johnnny Rocketscientist became beligerant about his former education and his certainty. I could really care less.........just funny to see somebody do all that research over a question that really makes no difference, so many words to persuade and so many links, and.....I could care less.

funny stuff

Hormone or not, it promotes growth. That's good enough for me. Thanks to both of you guys for providing so many facts about the subject.

This thread reminds me of BBT...
26918993.jpg

Tarmac I had already researched this 2 years ago when looking into Lucerne amendments and fertilisers which are carried locally so it was not too much of a stretch to dredge up some articles to illustrate my point.
No skin off my nose learning something new and increasing my knowledge and possibly knowledge of others any way. I enjoy learning and even if it means taking 10 minutes out of my day to read an article it will hopefully mean i am a little less ignorant to the world but i still have a loong long way to go.
As for being belligerent about my education Patrick asked a question which I had no issue answering I don't see how that is belligerance?

Plus its more then a little hypocritical seeing as you come across belligerant in practically every post you write on this forum don't you think??

Anyway I am glad you found it funny .... I certainly find you funny.

Patrick I have not done too much looking into molasses but what little I have read advocated black strap as being the best to utilise but there shouldn't be too much reason why any molasses would not be just as in/effective as they share the same properties on the whole.

I did appreciate the info and links. This starting to get old dog can always learn something. Keeping the mind active keeps Alz N. Heimer away.

Trippa I'm sure most of them do the same too, just passing along what I found.

Everyone knows (see that absolute!) that molasses is good for plants like it is for humans. That is, after the microbes get done eating the sugar, it turns into a somewhat drinkable and highly enjoyable libation. Both humans and plants can always enjoy a nice aged rum, thank you very much!

I never thought about doing a shot with my pepper plants. Hmmmmmmmmm............. :shh:

Yesterday I was looking through our glass door at my seedlings hardening off outside on the deck and said something to my wife like, "Now that's more like it! Everybody got lots of sunshine today." Her non-verbal cue prompted me to say, "What? Too much personification?" When summer comes, though, I am totally going to be drinking rum on the deck with my green children. ;)

Back