• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Transplanting from hydro to soil and Vise versa, Can it be done?

I was reading around on the forum and saw some information on "Deep Water Culture
aka DWC aka The Bubbler", read a little more and it peaked my interest. I am seeing some ridiculously nice looking plants being grown in Hydro setups, but I don't know much about them, I always wanted to try it but I don't have the money to dump into a setup just to try it. This set up although it maybe a pain in the ass to maintain looks extremely cheap to make.

So if I wanted to try it could I take a soil grown plant and move it into a hydro setup? And if I hate the setup, could I move it back?

It's not recommended to transplant a soil plant to bubbler since you don't want to intentionally introduce dirt to the system. It's best to start with seedling/cutting in soilless medium. But I've done the soil to hydro. It's important to wash the roots and stem thoroughly. I wash in tap. I also trim the roots short since the plant will stop growing soil roots and sprout new water roots instead. You might lose a week or two to transplant shock so you have to be patient. But the hydro growth will accelerate as the water roots develop. Also easier to transplant from hydro to soil since sterility not concern. Good luck.

thaichillihead said:
It's not recommended to transplant a soil plant to bubbler since you don't want to intentionally introduce dirt to the system. It's best to start with seedling/cutting in soilless medium. But I've done the soil to hydro. It's important to wash the roots and stem thoroughly. I wash in tap. I also trim the roots short since the plant will stop growing soil roots and sprout new water roots instead. You might lose a week or two to transplant shock so you have to be patient. But the hydro growth will accelerate as the water roots develop. Also easier to transplant from hydro to soil since sterility not concern. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, What procedure would you use to go from hydro to soil?

Take the thing out of the dirt and put it in a net pot. Hang it in the bucket. When you change your nutrient in a week or so, throw the dirt out too. Putting a dirt plant into DWC is easy and works- a little dirt in the bottom of a bucket of water won't hurt anything.

You can also wash the dirt off the roots carefully and then plant in hydro. One of the advantages of hydro is the absence of pathogens/bugs found in dirt.

Going from hydro to dirt is a doddle, just put the plant in dirt.

Back