• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Tips for start time and other seed planting questions

I've got seeds for:
Leutshauer (to make paprika)
Papal lanterns
7 pot (chocolate)
Carolina Reaper
Fatali

I've grown bell peppers in the past and half the seeds took 600 years to sprout (I used heat matts and a full spectrum light).
90% of these seeds I extracted from peppers before I ate them and put them on coffee filters to dry and kept them un ziplocks in a cool dry place since September.

Our last frost date is April 30th.
1. Is now a good time to start?
2. What is a good seed depth?
3. I have limited space, is planting 3 to 5 seeds together to make a "bush" a good idea?
4. Does the light need to be on them from the start?
5. Any other help appreciated as I've never grown the hot ones before.

Thanks in advance! Love this group. I searched through previous posts but didn't find exactly what I needed.

My take...

1. Anytime is a good time to start 😁. Now should be fine for chinenses. Annuums can wait a bit longer...
2. I usually put seeds about 5mm deep in the soil.
3. Not a good idea as the individual plants can get quite large and have an extensive root system. They need their space.
4. As soon as they pop they should have light.
5. I don't think there's a lot of difference between hot and less hot varieties in the way you have to care for them...

Last edited:
My take...

1. Anytime is a good time to start 😁. Now should be fine for chinenses. Annuums can wait a bit longer...
2. I usually put seeds about 5mm deep in the soil.
3. Not a good idea as the individual plants can get quite large and have an extensive root system. They need their space.
4. As soon as they pop they should have light.
5. I don't think there's a lot of difference between hot and less hot varieties in the way you have to care for them...
Chinenses?

I've got seeds for:
Leutshauer (to make paprika)
Papal lanterns
7 pot (chocolate)
Carolina Reaper
Fatali

I've grown bell peppers in the past and half the seeds took 600 years to sprout (I used heat matts and a full spectrum light).
90% of these seeds I extracted from peppers before I ate them and put them on coffee filters to dry and kept them un ziplocks in a cool dry place since September.

Our last frost date is April 30th.
1. Is now a good time to start?
2. What is a good seed depth?
3. I have limited space, is planting 3 to 5 seeds together to make a "bush" a good idea?
4. Does the light need to be on them from the start?
5. Any other help appreciated as I've never grown the hot ones before.

Thanks in advance! Love this group. I searched through previous posts but didn't find exactly what I needed.
I am growing 7 pot chocolate right now and theyre doing well. Where did you get the seeds from?

I do things a bit different than many, I germinate my seeds in damp paper towels in tupperware containers on top of a heating mat, then once I see the seeds crack and start growing I then plant them. Whatever works best for your space and plans.

I am growing 7 pot chocolate right now and theyre doing well. Where did you get the seeds from?

I do things a bit different than many, I germinate my seeds in damp paper towels in tupperware containers on top of a heating mat, then once I see the seeds crack and start growing I then plant them. Whatever works best for your space and plans.
A friend shared the peppers with me. I am fermenting them and harvested a few seeds from each.
I like the paper towel idea I'll try that with a few.

Do the seeds need light, or just heat to germinate?

A friend shared the peppers with me. I am fermenting them and harvested a few seeds from each.
I like the paper towel idea I'll try that with a few.

Do the seeds need light, or just heat to germinate?
Seeds only need heat to germinate but once they break the surface after planting, lighting is important. They will stretch till they find it.

Dont let the paper towels dry out but not dripping wet. I soak my seeds for 20 minutes in 1.5% h2o2 and then 24 hours in spring water before going in to the tupperware containers with small paper towel squares doubled up and folded over.

Last edited:
Back