• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Tips for Germinating 20-Year Old Seed?

Hi Everyone,

I have a bad habit of holding on to things and I've got myself a bit of a time capsule when it comes to pepper seeds. I have about 18 USDA PI C. chinense varieties that I acquired back in 2004, plus my original Trinidad Scorpion seeds (the ones that were sent to Butch T and the C2C Pepper Company), plus some very old C. pubescens seeds, plus the original TFM scotch bonnet that I got from the Trenton Farm Market (seeds originally collected in '04 but I also have a few from '06). These seeds are so precious, but now I'm interested in trying to germinate them and compare them to what I have. I know that soaking seeds in a 1-2% H2O2 solution and some light surface scarification would be a good idea, but does anyone have any other ideas to boost the chances? They've been stored in a dry, dark place, with relatively cool/room temps. Here are the photos. Let me know if you have tips before I go ahead with them!

Thanks,

Wyanokie

20240309_132950.jpg

20240309_133636.jpg

20240309_133533.jpg

Back