• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Thrifty ideas for cheap containers / pots? Help!

I like being "thrifty", being poor helps with that to. :)
Here's my babies in a variety of containers.

S6300962.jpg

From left: Bih Jolokia, Dorset Naga, Naga Morich, Fatali, Choc Hab, Fatali.

Some came to me in normal pots, others I've put in 1lb. cottage cheese/sour cream tubs w/ holes cut in to the bottom and a few in the sides for drainage.

They are sitting on a sprinkle of Perlite to keep them elevated and they drain great. I also put a layer of perlite on the very bottom of each container before adding soil to keep the holes free from debris.

Those two on the left are recuperating Bih and Dorset that came to me in that babywipe container. They hadn't had holes, but I cut some with a sharp knife and it's stting on a twisted-up large rubber band..keeps a space open for it to drain since it's quite heavy.

That big one is my Naga Morich I just re-potted today from a 3" pot.

I'm looking for like 2gal. pails for the next round, but probably will just buy the cheap ones at the garden center unless I find free ones. They are like $1/ea. and since I only have a few plants it's fine, plus they are reusable.

I'd said I'd have a "Franken-Grow" huh? :lol:

-QS

I do a bit of freecycling and that's 1 way to get free pots... Right now, I have 4 Bhut Jolokias growing in the hottest section of the greenhouse at the nursery where I work at, and they are just starting to grow like crazy. I know that they will as I am also growing watermelon (a serious heat lover) and they are starting to explode! I may end up potting some more bhuts into these 12 inch fiber pots for sale. I had a customer at the nursery that bought 2 bhuts that were already growing in the fiber pots and (LOL) I took that yellow caution tape and stapled it around the pots, and customers found that amusing. If you are wondering... I sold those 2 plants for $15.00 each!

-Gnildir
SW Washington State

VtPepper said:
I put an add on freecycle for pots and got about 200 of them worked good for me I have also seen themon craigslist as well just gotta look around and it was all free.

wordwiz said:
Forget selling toms and eggs for $1.50 or $2.00 - $15 per plant! I better save 1,000 seeds!

Mike
Selling nothin, i am afraid i'll have to worry about pepper thieves come harvest time. Still, i pity anyone who steal one of the bhuts.

Gnildir said:
I sold those 2 plants for $15.00 each!

-Gnildir
SW Washington State

how old/big were the plants Gnildir?

Hi
Thanks for your advice! I went out yesterday and found the cups you are talking about, I paid 60 cents for 16 and bought 16 packs and spent a wonderful afternoon potting up!
Thank you for solving my pot problem!
Tori

Back