overwintering surviving the longwinter in the north

Hi everyone!

I'm a novice grower, these guys are my first. It’s mostly reapers (the only ones that wanted to grow), 3 Thai suns, and a few small ghost peppers which you can't see since they are on the other side.
Since I live in Sweden and May June was really cold, we were lucky if it was above 20C and clouds all the time.

So I decided to buy some extra lights to help them get started. I got my first pods on my Thai sun last week. But it’s almost august and the summer is starting to fade way in Sweden.

My question do you think I have any chance of keeping them growing and producing pods during the winter with my current lightning?

the purple light on the left are T8 4x36W osram floura, the bright in middle right is a 150w metal halide, the white light far right is T8 4x36 osram G13 daylight.

http://imgur.com/rWYgE9Z first pods
http://imgur.com/h3TfKMi lights
http://imgur.com/yZMFEGf lights

/alex

So you have some 12k lumens on each side and 8k in the middle.
Think you could manage it depending on the number of plants and if you can manage to keep the temps comfortable.

If possible, make the surround surfaces reflectable. And for the flourescent tubes, I would try setting them up vertically to achieve more even coverage.

plaisir8 said:
So you have some 12k lumens on each side and 8k in the middle.
Think you could manage it depending on the number of plants and if you can manage to keep the temps comfortable.

If possible, make the surround surfaces reflectable. And for the flourescent tubes, I would try setting them up vertically to achieve more even coverage.

Thanks for your input!

Don't know if i can put them vertically at this point. going to try to build a new growing area for them. but its quite hard since my apartment is only 44 square meters. Guess I could buy foil and attatch it to the surrounding walls. Usually have around 20c indoor during the winter. And the lights should help raise the temperature a few degrees near the plants.

^  Easier than tinfoil is to use metalized (plastic) emergency blankets.  In the US they are quite inexpensive bought in volume at around $1 a piece for a 10 pack.  With some brands there is a fair amount of light pass-through so it is better to use two of them overlapped.

I wouldn't worry too much about temperatures if the room temp is 65F or higher, because the more important temperature which is night-time lows, will also be controlled.  Although their growth will slow, you will know if you need more light if they start dropping a lot of leaves.

Dave2000 said:
^  Easier than tinfoil is to use metalized (plastic) emergency blankets.  In the US they are quite inexpensive bought in volume at around $1 a piece for a 10 pack.  With some brands there is a fair amount of light pass-through so it is better to use two of them overlapped.

I wouldn't worry too much about temperatures if the room temp is 65F or higher, because the more important temperature which is night-time lows, will also be controlled.  Although their growth will slow, you will know if you need more light if they start dropping a lot of leaves.
Found a place where i can buy those here in sweden, going to pick up some after work. Wanted to buy a fan for them aswell since I haven't got one. But they are all sold out in stockholm cause of the european heat wave :(

plaisir8 said:
^ or become spindly.

g'luck with your grow newril, sure everybody will want to see your mid-winter harvest!

Thank you!

Hopefully I'll get some pods on my other plants aswell. I'm really looking forward for next season, seen so many different peppers that i want to grow! Really need to move to a bigger apartment ( or house) :)

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] again[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Managed to find a place where I could build a little grow room. Bought 2 ikea Expedit 184*184*39 cm shelves that I combined :) I'm going to buy 2 more 150W MH later so that I got 1 on each side as well[/SIZE]

edit:I've got a door with reflectors too-- and perhaps i should add the link to the pic http://imgur.com/vK3d0sS

[SIZE=10.5pt]/Alexander[/SIZE]

Back