• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sunburned Peppers

The weather has warmed up here so I started taking my pepper plants out to harden them up. They did fine outside for a few hours. A few days later they did fine leaving them out all day & night.

I finally put them all in the ground and now I'm finding at least half of them are getting sun scaulded. Some leaves are turning pale yellow to white. A couple are droopy looking.

Temps have only been getting up to the high 60s but it has been very sunny the past 2 days. The soil is still damp from watering them the last two nights after I came home from work, so I don't want to give them too much (plus there is mulch around them).

Any ideas other than digging them all up again?

Saw a guy on TV last week was growing some bamboo in pots...was moving them around to shade more delicate plants throughout the day...

You can always throw some row covers over them if you like. 60s during the day is a little on the cool side because it puts your nights in the 40f's I am assuming. They may be a little chilly.
Ideally you want the soil temp in the mid 50's, daytime temps in the 70-80f range, and lows in the 50-60f range. The row covers help in a number of ways. They filter the sun plus they help keep the temps up at night.

Thanks all. I'll give it a couple of days & see how they do. I guess I could also polish off a bunch of Mai Tai's and put the little umbrellas next to each plant.

Hey P_Schneider, I checked out your latest growing pics. Too bad about the nagas. If you want I'll harvest some seeds for you this year.

BTW, how are the Hawaiian Sweey Hots? Do they really taste hot AND sweet? Is this them? http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=hawaiian+sweet&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1
Looks like a cayenne. How hot are they?

I just put my plants in the ground and I'm already planning my growing list for next year! :D

Rub some SPF 45 on them :D

I've got a similay thing going on with my Fresno and Jala at the moment. They were all fine untill a day or two ago and now see the leaves are curling up at the ends and going brown on the edges. Anyone seen this before?

DSC00355.jpg

Hmm ratios ,eh? What are we talking here, too wet? Not wet enough? or the more likley to f&*king cold?. Bastard English weather.

RedThumb said:
Thanks all. I'll give it a couple of days & see how they do. I guess I could also polish off a bunch of Mai Tai's and put the little umbrellas next to each plant.

Hey P_Schneider, I checked out your latest growing pics. Too bad about the nagas. If you want I'll harvest some seeds for you this year.

BTW, how are the Hawaiian Sweey Hots? Do they really taste hot AND sweet? Is this them? http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=hawaiian+sweet&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1
Looks like a cayenne. How hot are they?

I just put my plants in the ground and I'm already planning my growing list for next year! ;)

Hey Red, thanks for the offer but I already have 1/2 dozen naga's on their way. I'm not out of it yet for this year! I plan on trying a couple of them in a DWC setup and the others I'm going to put in pots using a mix of potting soil, coco coir, and the leftover hydroton pellets. I also have some chocolate habs on the way too and I will probably do those the same way as the naga's. Both have too long of a growing season for my area so I will need to move them indoors in the fall to winter them.
The Hawaiian sweet hots are wonderful peppers. When you bite into one it almost has a relish type sweetness and then the heat kicks in. I would put the heat scale somewhere between a jalapeno and a thai dragon, so at about a 7 on the heat scale. I highly recommend the Hawaiian's. The picture looks pretty close but my pods are a little shorter I think. The flowers look right. Give em a shot, they're pretty good. I picked mine up at cross country nursery.

so I finally decided to plant mine out yesterday and we have had very strong winds and a mini heat wave (90 degrees plus). Poor little plants dont know what has hit them. I hope they will not get sunburned. ;)

outdoorsetup.jpg

outdoorsetup2.jpg

The peppers are living over my former Koi pond that due to an unfortunate accident no longer has any Koi.

A candle that you burn to get rid of mosquito's got blown into the pond and whatever toxic chemicals it was made from killed all my Koi.

Chiles are not looking good at the moment it was over 100 in my back yard today....fingers crossed. I picked a bad time to plant them out.

Hmm Boags said:
Hmm ratios ,eh? What are we talking here, too wet? Not wet enough? or the more likley to f&*king cold?. Bastard English weather.
You are correct- looks like the cold. I planted outdoors in the first week of April and got the same thing (it was a really cold April for San Diego...who would have thought). They're doing fine now, although...
herne_the_hunter said:
Chiles are not looking good at the moment it was over 100 in my back yard today....fingers crossed. I picked a bad time to plant them out.
It's hot here, too. My Bih Jolokia's are loving it, chocolate hab- happy, aji panca- really happy, the potential problem lies with my fatali. I've never grown one before, and the leaves seem a little yellow for a chili. It's doing well otherwise, but I was wondering if this is a natural color. This plant is in the same plot as my Jolokia's and getting the same sun.

Trying to keep the little fellas out of the cold at the moment but after a few weeks of glorious sunshine we are now plunged back into the depths of winter. Pissing my wife off right now with a lounge full of plants. He he he he

Oh.....LA.....that's a GOOD idea what with earthquakes, the santa annas, no water, nasty air pollution, wayyyyy too much traffic and etc.

Back