• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds starting seeds

None until they are on thier third or fourth set of true leaves. I do not want my plants to bolt up right now they still have a long time before they go outside. I use Pro-Mix from start to finish. I do not know about the acid loving part.

cyotefishing, AJ is right on it is definitely the lights. If you are using fluorescents put the seedlings about an inch from the lights let them grow till they almost touch or even touch then raise the light.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
None until they are on thier third or fourth set of true leaves. I do not want my plants to bolt up right now they still have a long time before they go outside. I use Pro-Mix from start to finish. I do not know about the acid loving part.

cyotefishing, AJ is right on it is definitely the lights. If you are using fluorescents put the seedlings about an inch from the lights let them grow till they almost touch or even touch then raise the light.

Dale
===========================
Thanks, Dale. Another stupid question: is a grow light the same as a fluorescent light? If there is a difference, do the same rules apply? (I know...that's 2 stupid questions...)

There are flourescent "grow" bulbs. They are available at most hardware stores.
Also legginess is caused by the spectrum of light. (don't quote me I may have it reversed) but I think that Blue light promotes leaf growth and more red promotes height, or legginess. It is important to check the spectrum of your bulbs if you are concerned with this.

That answers my question. Mine is a grow light, and obviously in the blue spectrum. Didn't know it was fluorescent.

Thanks for the help, all. I'm planting today as soon as I get out of class

Warm white bulbs gives off more red light, which is good for flowering. Cool white bulbs give off more blue light, which is good for vegetative growth. Fluorescent bulbs are pretty inexpensive, so you should be able to purchase both types.

staffing said:
That answers my question. Mine is a grow light, and obviously in the blue spectrum. Didn't know it was fluorescent.

Is it a round bulb you have or a tube? They make some floodlight type "growlight" that aren't too good for growing.

Pam said:
I don't think most fish tank light bulbs would provide enough light. For the money you'd be better off buying a cheap shop light. You can just prop it up on some cinder blocks if you don't have any place to hang it.

Well, if you get the big 250 watt tubes with the right color combinations for growing coral, you should be fine.

DevilDuck said:
Well, if you get the big 250 watt tubes with the right color combinations for growing coral, you should be fine.

Ok, I'm thinking fresh water tanks.

But, so, wouldn't a salt water set up be even more expensive?

Back