• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Sour and heatless Jalapenos... overwatered?

I finally cut a jalapeno from the plant to test it's flavor. When I tasted it, it was heatless, and had a slightly sour taste to it, and it wasn't rotten in any way. What could have caused this?

The Mucho Nacho jalapenos I grew one season had a sour taste to 'em. Dunno if the plant was really Mucho Nacho or not, but that's what it was labeled as when I bought it (it wouldn't be the first time I've bought a mislabeled plant from the same store). They did have a little bit of heat to 'em IIRC, but not much. As I've never had anything give off a similar bad taste, I'm convinced it was just the flavour of the variety I was growing and not so much caused by anything in particular.

Maybe you just ended up with a bung variety like me?

Given where you are this may be depressing news but peppers very often change flavor through the season. Don't give up just yet

How can we know if you are overwatering if we don't know the rainfall level, pot size, soil drainage, frequency or amount of water provided, temperature, humidity, wind, plant size, whether water ran out the bottoms of the pots, whether the pod was full sized and mature yet or already turning colors, and what your shoe size is? :D

Generally speaking if you have well draining soil (which is the goal) in a pot, if no water runs out the bottom of the pot you are not overwatering. If they are in the ground (or a pot) then if there is no fungus growing on the surface and it gets dry between waterings it is unlikely you are overwatering. Overwatering "usually" causes the plant itself to look sickly in addition to affecting the pods.

Is there any chance the seeds or plant came from an americanized hybrid jalapeno bred for low heat? That's what is usually used in most prepared food and non-tex/mex/oriental restaurants these days.

Back