• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering somewhat urgent question pulling plants for overwintering

Hi All,

I'm in Charlotte and have a few really nice plants that are still producing peppers.  I just read Pepper Guru's overwintering guide and am psyched to overwinter 3 of them so I don't have to start from scratch in the spring.  Tonight is forecast to go down to 32 or 33, then back up to 38-40ish for overnight lows after that.  Do I need to cut them back and dig them up today to avoid them dying in a possible freeze tonight, or can they make it through one night without dying?  I really don't want to cut them back when they're still giving me peppers unless I really have to.

Thanks,

Justin

Cover with sheet and maybe a thick layer of leaves around the base. Just throwing ideas out there but I know some people wrap palm trees with Christmas lights when it freezes. Why not pepper plants? Tis the season anyway..

I throw a sheet over them. I haven't the past couple weeks. It's been in the lows 30's. haven't had a frost yet. Frost does it every time. I've lost all leaves from a frost and managed to still bonchi. The roots didn't freeze, so I was good.

Good luck

I brought a chocolate hab and a scorpion that are in buckets inside onto my back porch.  Giant reaper was too big to put a sheet over but it appears to have made it.  We were at 35 when I got up this morning.  Thanks everyone for the tips.

Back