• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Solar Greenhouse Tech

I wanted to start this thread as it seemed that AJ's excellent First 80 Plants in Greenhouse thread was getting hijacked with some wonky greenhouse tech talk- so let's get our wonk on in this thread! I originally thought this would apply more for those of us in northern latitudes, but I think unless you were cursed to live in tropic climes, this will apply for most everyone.

As Carol linked in the Specific heat table water is a wonderful thing- an excellent substance for thermal mass storage. You don't have to get all technical in order to use it either- as I stated, what I've done in the past is simply fill a few huge 60 gallon plastic trash bins with water, which, once I toss a chunk of plywood on top of, serve a secondary purpose as a table. While the scientific term is formally 'specific heat capacity' I'm more able to visualize what we're talking about by referring to it as 'thermal mass-' fortunately for me, the terms are for the most part interchangeable. Another part of the equation is thermal inertia, or volumetric heat capacity- that's different than thermal mass though and it's a bit more wonky than even I want to get here, but feel free if you want to chime in on it, I'm all ears.

Pam provided a great link to a Passive Solar Greenhouse white paper which is perfect in outlining the basic principles we're talking about here. Thank you muchly for that link Pam, it's pretty much exactly what I've been working on in my head for a long time now. I've been building a passive solar house along the lines of the Enertia Homes in my head for years, and the design for a greenhouse fits in along the same parameters- proper design ahead of time will make for much longer growing seasons and FAR less cost in the long run.

I've been VERY lucky- the property I've just bought already has a fairly modest (about 10' x 10') greenhouse on it that has been plumbed for gas and electric and it already has been wired for a thermostat that controls a small gas heater as well as an exhaust fan in the ceiling-
yard3.jpg

That picture is facing directly West so the Southern sun is to the left. That's great since the greenhouse will obviously be getting a lot of southern exposure. But I've always wondered- why in the hell do people glass in the North side of a greenhouse? I will be covering up and insulating the North wall, at least, and insulating the kickers as well. I'm not going to get too deep into modifying the existing structure though, this coming fall/winter I will hopefully be tearing it down and pouring a pad where this one sits so that I can start building a REAL solar greenhouse. Unfortunately, the only thing they did right in building this one was placement-

yard1.jpg

Around here, you can't get much better southern exposure than that.

Anyways, I guess I wrote a lot. Heheh. I'd sure be interested in other folks' thoughts on the matter- solar or any other forms of heating, as well as personal experiences and pictures, of course!

lee said:
Stunning pics :shocked:. Damn you got some space there!.

Thanks Lee, I figured I'd show off a little :lol: I lucked out a LOT- 5 acres of oceanfront, with 5 very active volcanoes across the water! And yes, lots of space to grow on as well- with three producing apple trees in their own fenced in yard to keep the moose from eating them all up!

The southern exposure from over the ocean is amazing, lots of space and lots of sun and lots of wind to work with! I'm going to be really busy here...

Damn that pic is set as my desktop background :)

It would be even better once everything turns green.

btw. Winter is over here. 03-01-09 springs arrives :party:
Today temps 12-13 degrees C

I think I'm all wonked out for now.

You really do live on the frozen tundra, don't you. It's very pretty but I don't think I could take the dark winters.

millworkman said:
Hinky, how long do you have for summer?

millworkman-
That depends on what your definition of 'summer' is >:)
Generally speaking, outside grow season is 1 May to 1 October.
Conventional wisdom up here is nothing gets put in the ground outside until Memorial Day at the earliest. I do move my potted plants outside by early April and I usually have some stuff in the ground about two or three weeks earlier than most, watching the nighttime temps and covering and/or bringing in overnight if need be, depending on how hardy the plants are. Early planting is a crapshoot- last year for instance, NOTHING I put in the ground prior to Labor Day survived on account of too many hard freezes (plus it was the coldest summer on record, thanks a million, Mr. Gore). Normal summers most of what I plant a couple weeks prior to Memorial Day will survive.

histGraphNormals

Hinky,

Do you have your holidays confused? Labor Day, at least in the lower 48, is the first Monday in September - the unofficial end of summer.

Or do I need to be put in a round room and forced to stand in a corner?

Mike

So... let me get this straight
You're saying that you have highs in the 60's in August!? O.M.G.
I pray for a night in the 70's in August.

Nice truck.

wordwiz said:
Hinky,

Do you have your holidays confused? Labor Day, at least in the lower 48, is the first Monday in September - the unofficial end of summer.

Or do I need to be put in a round room and forced to stand in a corner?

Mike

I'm on crack and multitasking- Memorial Day, thanks for the smack with the clue-by-four, Mike!

Back