soil Soil testing tips?

Hey all! I was at Lowes the other day and found a little moisture/light/pH tester that you stick in the ground (pots for me). Next to it was a soil testing kit that has 4 vials and a bunch of tablets you mix in to test for pH and fertilizer levels (Mosser Lee Soil Tester Kit). I bought both.

The meter is very handy but it's analog type and can be a little ambiguous for pH. Moisture test is a lot more discernable. I did the tablet test and the results seem to match the meter.

So my question is: How do you guys and gals test your soil for appropriate levels of pH and nutrients? I don't mind paying for a good tester but also don't want to break the bank (that should narrow it down :)). Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks my friends.

Hey all! I was at Lowes the other day and found a little moisture/light/pH tester that you stick in the ground (pots for me). Next to it was a soil testing kit that has 4 vials and a bunch of tablets you mix in to test for pH and fertilizer levels (Mosser Lee Soil Tester Kit). I bought both.

The meter is very handy but it's analog type and can be a little ambiguous for pH. Moisture test is a lot more discernable. I did the tablet test and the results seem to match the meter.

So my question is: How do you guys and gals test your soil for appropriate levels of pH and nutrients? I don't mind paying for a good tester but also don't want to break the bank (that should narrow it down :)). Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks my friends.

I use both, I have a Rapitest 4 way meter (pH, Light, Moisture, Fertility) however the Fertility is mixed for all NPK, so I use the pill method to get individual measurements of the soil fertility (NPK). The pH is the best feature of the analog meter, it's quick and easy and you can use it unlimited times.

I tested the PH (potential hydrogen) of my potting soil using litmus strips. Here's how I did it;

I took about ½ cup, of the potting soil I use, out of the bag and put it in a bowl. I poured about 1 cup of distilled water (PH neutral; 7) into the dirt and mixed it thoroughly and let it sit/soak for 1 hour. I then poured the water through a screened funnel (to get as much dirt out as possible) and into a glass. Using Merck universal indicator strips (litmus paper), I wetted the strip, and checked against the color chart. The green color was the only one that didn’t quite match; it was darker than the “5” but lighter than the “6”. Close enough for government work. So now I know it’s about 5.5 to 6.0 which is ideal.
As to nutrient levels; I'm not sure you can do that at home. But, if you give your local extension agent a sample of your soil they can tell you that information. Free or pay I don't know, but check it out. Cheers.

MerckPHStrips.jpg

Any of the probe pH meters are POS's ...... DON'T trust them !!!!!!! The moisture meter will give an idea , something to learn from , but again don't trust them. What can you expect for 10 or 12 bucks ?

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back