• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil temperature after getting hooks

So I know that if you are germinating in soil you want the temperature to be ~80-85 degrees. If I were to germinate in paper towels and I get hooks then transplant to peat pellets, would the soil temperature still need to be that hot or would room temperature be enough at that point?

I'm planning on making a seedling grow box. I'm testing right now if I can successfully germinate on top of my water heater. I have a few bhut jolokia seeds and a few PI 1441654 seeds I'm testing too. My plan is to germinate them on the water heater then transplant to peat pellets in my grow box. The only heat source would be two 23 watt CFLs. The box will be lined with mylar emergency blanket material so it should sufficiently keep the heat contained. Do you think that would be hot enough/too hot?

So I guess I've got two questions there.

I have already clicked watch on this topic, its something i have been very interested about for a long time.
Only thing i can think of, is that if you look at the fact it takes around 70-80f to germinate, i would assume that the soil temp needs to stay at or around this temp to keep the plant growing. Hence why chillis only grow during the warmer months. Once the soil, and plant, gets cold it dies.
:beer: :beer: :beer:
I could be very very wrong though....

I have already clicked watch on this topic, its something i have been very interested about for a long time.
Only thing i can think of, is that if you look at the fact it takes around 70-80f to germinate, i would assume that the soil temp needs to stay at or around this temp to keep the plant growing. Hence why chillis only grow during the warmer months. Once the soil, and plant, gets cold it dies.
:beer: :beer: :beer:
I could be very very wrong though....

During the winter months we keep our house at 72 degrees. So I was hoping that it might be sufficient. The real motivation here is to not get chewed out my wife :eek: . I'm planning on putting about $50 dollars into the grow box and I'd rather not spend another $25 for a propagation mat if I can help it.

So I know that if you are germinating in soil you want the temperature to be ~80-85 degrees. If I were to germinate in paper towels and I get hooks then transplant to peat pellets, would the soil temperature still need to be that hot or would room temperature be enough at that point?

room temperature will be enough. From then on sufficient light for your seedlings to grow will be the more important thing. ~80-85 degrees(~27-29 degrees celsius)is critical for germination only

The box will be lined with mylar emergency blanket material so it should sufficiently keep the heat contained. Do you think that would be hot enough/too hot?

Here is a link you might find useful http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

the lower the temperature the slower your plants will grow...85F is a good temperature to grow at...but, if you want to produce pods, you need to vary your "night time" temperature down to about 68 or so...72 would be good...

if you are growing these thru the winter, lower temperatures that slow growth is not all a bad thing...your plants will still grow but not get to big to handle inside until plantout...

most important thing to watch for when growing inside is aphids, spidermites, etc....the nasties have no natural enemies inside so you have to keep a close watch...

Here is a link you might find useful http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

the lower the temperature the slower your plants will grow...85F is a good temperature to grow at...but, if you want to produce pods, you need to vary your "night time" temperature down to about 68 or so...72 would be good...

if you are growing these thru the winter, lower temperatures that slow growth is not all a bad thing...your plants will still grow but not get to big to handle inside until plantout...

most important thing to watch for when growing inside is aphids, spidermites, etc....the nasties have no natural enemies inside so you have to keep a close watch...

Excellent. My intention was to grow indoors until late April to early May and then move them outdoors. So it sounds like it should work pretty well for what I want to do. I hope to progress from peat pellet -> 1 gallon grow bag indoors then pot up to 5 gallon grow bags and move outside. Does that sound reasonable? Or should I harden them off before getting to the point where I need 5 gallon bags?

Excellent. My intention was to grow indoors until late April to early May and then move them outdoors. So it sounds like it should work pretty well for what I want to do. I hope to progress from peat pellet -> 1 gallon grow bag indoors then pot up to 5 gallon grow bags and move outside. Does that sound reasonable? Or should I harden them off before getting to the point where I need 5 gallon bags?

I would definitely harden of 1gallon bags before potting up. While hardening off you will be moving them around ALOT. So I guess if you're in need of a serious work out for a week or so, feel free to pot up first :lol: Otherwise save yourself the inconvenience of moving a buncha 5gals around my friend :)
Goodluck!

I would definitely harden of 1gallon bags before potting up. While hardening off you will be moving them around ALOT. So I guess if you're in need of a serious work out for a week or so, feel free to pot up first :lol: Otherwise save yourself the inconvenience of moving a buncha 5gals around my friend :)
Goodluck!

Hehe, excellent point! :eek: I think I'll take your advice. :cheers:

Back