• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Smoking, dehydrate, or both?

What would be the proper procedure to achieve a dried smoked pepper. I was thinking of dehydrating the pepper and then cold smoking it to get that great smoke flavor.

I can only speak from my personal choice. Last weekend I did this years 1st large batch of scotch bonnets and Jamaican hot chocs. and went with smoking them 1st on my outdoor smoker (charcoal and applewood) and then finished up on the dehydrator. Roughly 4 hours on the smoker and a additional 4 on the dehydrator.
I did try it 2 different ways while smoking: 1st was just stems removed and cutting in half with open side down. 2nd was stems removed and leaving whole with a crisscross cut on one end as tried by another poster here. It's for the 2nd reason why I had to dry them longer in the dehydrator because those were much more moist. In my opinion and personal taste I think smoking 1st allows more of the smoking flavors to penetrate the peppers while moist, but that's just me.
The smoking (w/heat) also reduced the overall time in the dehydrator which those around me were very very happy as the dehydrator wasn't running for 12-15 hours in the house.... :party:
Either way .... Enjoy your peppers !!! :P

Yeah, well said OH.
Smoke first, dehydrate second. Except I cut them in half and put the cut open side up.
That allows the moisture to escape quicker from the pepper.
Dehydrating peppers inside the house is not fun. It takes forever and makes everyones eyes burn, LOL.

There really is no fail, just see what works for you and have fun with it!

Yeah, well said OH.
Smoke first, dehydrate second. Except I cut them in half and put the cut open side up.
That allows the moisture to escape quicker from the pepper.
Dehydrating peppers inside the house is not fun. It takes forever and makes everyones eyes burn, LOL.

There really is no fail, just see what works for you and have fun with it!

Same process that i use. Cut in half, smoke, dehydrate.

I too cut and face up when I smoke and dry. I go with a HEAVY 40 minutes smoke(what do you mean the smoker lid is not supposed to back blast off?), then after the smoke the go in the dehydrator at 105° until they are dry. Because of the low amount of time in the smoker they take longer in the dehydrator.

Ditto.
1/2
open side up
as deep a smoke as you wish
dehydrate.

Last time I went 4 hrs with hickory
Very smoky, but that's what I like.
Didn't dry to dust, but tough leather so I could slice them into things.

Great info, thank you all for your input. I will try the advice when my peppers are ripe and let everyone know how it turns out.

If I wanted the quickest drying time (like in the next 36 hours) how hot should I dehydrate and how long smoke? I have a batch of supers that I really wanna dehydrate before Sunday morning, and if I don't care about the color, what do think?

I decided against the smoker. Put them in the dehydrator at 140 and 2 hours later started the smoker....:crazy:

I would say that they would definitely be dry in time at that heat, but since I can't make up my mind I am gonna smoke for a while and then stick em in the dehydrator low, and then bump if needed.

if you don't care about color, dehydrate as hight as you want and it'll go fast. I'm not a pro-smoker, but I woudl guess the smoke would penetrate moist flesh better than dry flesh.

Back