• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Congos - Reds and Chocolates

Smoked some Chocolate and  some Red Congos on Saturday.  Smoked at <200 degrees for 5 hours.  50/50 combination cherry and apple woods.  They smell heavenly.  Planning to dehydrate, combine, and crush into flakes.  Have 562 grams of the reds (deseeded) and 576 grams of the chocolates (deseeded).  Looking forward to these!

Thanks for looking.

P1040291.JPG

PepperLover said:
amazing pods Terry

tomorrow i will send you Black Congo to dry. dont smoke them using fire, only dry them using food dehydrator, they have natural, sweet aroma you will like  
Judy - thanks in advance . . . you're too kind!  I will dehydrate them only -  and send you some when they're done.  Thanks again.

TJP

Those pods look gigantic and delicious!!  :P 

Having had your smoked powders Buddy,,I can only imagine the incredible smell wafting around those babies!!

Are you gonna mix em all?  and is there a noticeable difference in heat on the two?

:cool:
Kevin

Thinking of 1/3 Red, 1/3 Chocolate, 1/3 Combo.  I don't see a big difference in the heat level - the chocolates may be a bit hotter.  They also have a richer, earthier flavor - since they were smoked at the same time, I'm guessing that the flavor difference is due to the pepper itself and not from the smoke. 

Back