• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting signs when to harvest peppers

So obviously one way to identify when you want to pick a pepper is by its color change....but what if you don't know it's color progression? I know with tomatoes you know when one is ripe if you can pick it off the vine with ease as if it could fall off without a forceful tug or shears. Are there any other signs that a pepper is ripe?

For instance, I have these cream fatalii from wickedmike which is suppose to be unlike any other fatalii and not be hot. I've attached some pictures, but I always thought red is the last color in a progression, but I'm new to growing peppers so what do i know. Is there anything with the stem or some other details that tell you when you pepper is completely ripe? 
20150218_112510.jpg

20150218_112519.jpg

when you say really ripe do you mean still with a firm flesh and a "bite" to it or overripe? 

Exactly what juanitos said. If you have to play tug of war with your plant, the pepper is not ready. The lifting straight up is key, a perfectly ripe pod will pop off with little effort.

That said, those bear a striking resemblance to a red habanero, specifically the red savina. Those are definitely not any fatalii i've ever seen. Take a bite of one, does it have any heat? I'm interested.

I have never seen a red pepper turn cream when fully ripe. Red is usually the final color no matter the initial color.

BigB said:
when you say really ripe do you mean still with a firm flesh and a "bite" to it or overripe? 
yeah sometimes they just turned colors and are say a candy red instead of a deep red and they will be stubborn even though they look ripe enough.

Yeah, those are definitely not Cream Fatalii. Got my curiosity up. Any chance you might have accidentally gotten your plants switched? If not, I'll be curious to see what I get from the other plants. I'll keep you posted.

yea definitely let me know! This is the same plant, i've moved the sticker and remember transferring it to my largest pot. I'll give it a try and let you guys know! 

edit: so i definitely shouldn't have bitten the the whole pepper....my mouth is on fire. I think i'm going to go with crazy hot seeds and say it's a red habanero...or something cuts it's hot. The heat wasn't too bad at first but it just built from there

My Cream Fatalii, grown from seed saved from pods grown by Silver Surfer:

Some peppers - Serrano comes to mind - turn all soft and mushy as they change color.  Try a few green ones from each variety just for fun.

cone9 said:
My Cream Fatalii, grown from seed saved from pods grown by Silver Surfer:
Aaaaaaand THERE'S the man who would know. My seeds came from pods Dave sent me a while back. They were outstanding, and quite mild.

I have five or six other Cream Fatalii plants and they're all producing pods the same size and shape as B's, the same color and flavor/heaf profile as Cone9's. Cross?

Wicked Mike said:
Aaaaaaand THERE'S the man who would know. My seeds came from pods Dave sent me a while back. They were outstanding, and quite mild.

I have five or six other Cream Fatalii plants and they're all producing pods the same size and shape as B's, the same color and flavor/heaf profile as Cone9's. Cross?
Very interesting, Mike.

I have some questions (sorry to hijack your thread BigB but you may find this of interest as well):

Did BigB's plants come from seed from Cream Fatalii peppers I grew?

The CR you are growing (from my pods?) are red and smooth (my pods were more lumpy than BigB's) but are "cream" colored and of similar taste as the pods I sent to you.  Is that correct?

I am growing CR from my saved seed this year.  I wonder what they will produce.  I hope I still have some seed from SS's pods in case mind are markedly different.  I really enjoyed those I grew last year.  There should be several other THPers growing from seed from my pods this year.  It will be interting to see what they get.

it's all good. i'm interested in this investigation. Unfortunately this red pepper is a bit hot for me to use a lot of peppers, but i'd like to know what it really is

Back