• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Seeds harvesting question

This is my first time posting here and I'm glad I found this forum. There seems to be a lot of people here who grow their own and like it hot lol

I had a cayenne plant that I had to cut down so I took some seeds off some peppers that hadn't even started turning red. My question is would these seeds germinate or only seeds taken from a fully ripe pepper would germinate? Also how long do I need to let it dry before it's good to be planted again?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum.
You can plant the seeds immediately. Why did you cut your cayenne down? The other option is to dry them out for a week or two and put them in a paper envelope for keeping.
Because the seeds were not ripe, you may have a problem. Plant one or two and see if they germinate. If they do, then you are likely okay.
IME, seeds from unripe fruit are not reliable. Cheers.

Ive had some that have done well from a green pod but it was pretty mature. I'd let them dry a few days and try it cant hurt right ?

it was getting too big to keep indoors in my tent (i wanted to start my seedlings in there) and too cold to put outside. either way i harvested a nice amount of peppers from it!

i separated the seeds form the green pods and the red pods. i'll plant a few to see what happens. thanks for the help!

Seeds from green pods will germinate, just at a lesser % than red ripe. My guess is in the 10-40% range, so just plant extras.

As said previously it depends how mature the pod was. There is a mature green stage sometimes refered to as "ripe green" when seeds should germinate, just pick out the best looking ones. If the pod hasn't developed any flavor or heat then its probably still immature and the seeds are probably not fully developed yet.

Back