• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Seedlings soil vs kratky observation's 2024

Hi Guy's

Last year I experimented converting soil grown chilli peppers from soil to kratky hydroponics with spectacular results :dance: 😎

I normally sow in winter grow on in my home made light box to get a head start hear in Scotland which I've found to be a great advantage in our climate.

I transferred the first plant from soil to kratky April I believe in my greenhouse wow ! Amazed at the results i continued to transition other plant's over the next few months.........learnt a lesson transferred too late resulted in a stop of flower/fruiting 🫣 and a surge in general growth leaves branches etc which was detrimental to fruit production in my short growing season............lesson learned. Although I think it was in part due to the extra root space and resulting root growth followed by the plant just deciding it could be grow bigger !

2024 plan is to transfer from soil to kratky as soon as the temperature allows me to transfer my plants full time to my unheated greenhouse...... as inside I'd run out of room.

Ive already started my 2024 crop in late winter germinated on wet rock wool in ice tray in my heated propergater than transferred to a small cell of soil , i like to prick them out while still small I select mostly on root's I've noticed in the past the bigger the root system the better the seedling seems to turn out .

20240204_084730.jpg

Germinated on rockwool transferred to a small cell of soil allowed to grow on for a short period before selection and culling.

20240204_084958.jpg

I selected 3 with the best root system and cotyledons 1st choice and spare and another spare just incase :whistle: they go into 3" to grow on.

This season is the first time I've moved some into a micro kratky set up at this stage not my Main crop as I'm worried I'd run out of space inside and it will be some time before they can go outside full time .

I have my main crop in the light box and a few micro kratky in there too my spares are on the window sill on a long tray with dome to keep the cosy 🥰

I started to notice my soil seedlings rapidly over taking my micro kratky seedlings ! 😳 which I didn't expect at all ..............

20240106_205837.jpg

You can clearly see the soil seedlings were performing much better than the micro kratky a few weeks ago !

However..................

The other day I was talking to work colleague who loves eating my chillies and hearing how they doing he was blown away with my kratky hydroponics last year, observing first hand in my greenhouse.

Having given them their weekly bottom water and cthem being on a timer I hadn't really looked in on them for a few days.........

Wow ! All of a sudden my micro kratky seedlings have caught up and in many case's over taken there soil bretheran !

image.jpg

Strong healthy 7 pot Barrackpore in 3" pot

20240211_133258.jpg

My Mustard Naga in micro kratky and all my other micro kratky plants have gone baserk ! Not that I'm complaining 😎 Just surprised by the delay and subsequent catching up.

I'm planning on converting some of my main crop to bug kratky set up from the soil but the micro kratky are plants I want to force into fruiting quickly to get f7 from f6 and to check if they are a crozz or mutation in the case of my mustard naga.

Don't know about you guys but I do enjoy the process and observations in growing chillies

Stephen

Last edited:
Do you buy a ready made fertiliser mix for your hydroponics, or mix your own? I chucked a few seeds in plastic cups filled with old cocos coir last year just to see if anything happened. I just used tap water and mixed up a very dilute mixture with liquid NPK fertiliser. Most of the seeds sprouted, but since I had neither the time nor the inclination to do any further research at the time, they just got ignored and died off after a couple of weeks. Was thinking about maybe giving it a proper go this year, but it'll have to wait til the middle of April as I'm coming back home to Scotland for a visit, and everything would die off during the 11 days I'm away 😌 .

Attachments

• hydro experiment.jpg
    hydro experiment.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 24
Back