• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

bottling sauce bottling

now i'm not sure if this is the right area to post it,
what i want to do is take some dried ground peppers and bottle it like a dasher type sauce,
but i dont want to ferment or pickle it i want it to be as it was made,
i usually make a arbol sauce for my meats but i wanted to take the same sauce and bottle to dash on on other foods with out having to make it each time,
at the most the sauce is cooked a bit for 10 mins or so to soften onions and garlic, then its blended/pureed fine then i pass it thru a strainer pressing it thru leaving only some excess pulps,
what would i need to do after that to keep it in the fridge or counter top as is? with out modifying it's flavor, i was reading thru stuff but i haven't came across what i want to do with out fermenting which i know will change the taste

bascily want to take the sauce after i make it store it

thanks for any input or information
joe

Hello Mr. pepper Joe,

I hope I get what type of sauce you are cooking/working with. In basic food physics, I don't see any type of acid (acids=preservative) in your ingredients. Without some type of preserving agent (vinegar/acids) or preserving action(canning) the sauce is a fresh sauce/consume-right-away-type sauce.

Without knowing the whole recipe, it's difficult to make an educated guess, which is what most of us here would be doing anyway. For the type of recipe you describe, I think that making the sauce and under refrigerations it would be good for a week or two. Basically you are dealing with non-acid ingredients, that should be refrigerated from the time they are reconstituted. You can also make a larger batch, freeze it in smaller portions, and defrost it as you need it (to be used quickly after defrosting).

Hope this helps little.

Ann
SL

salsalady
its a real simple recipe,
1/4lb dried arbol i powder it before i use them
1 tooth of garic
1/4 onion
1 ts. cumin
1/4 ts. salt i'm not big on salt i would ban it if i could
1.5 cups water

heated up to a slight boil for 10-15 mins
blended/puree,strained then i usually add to my dish at that point

i like the taste at this point

so this is the point where i want to store it at

thanks
joe

I'm still a novice when it comes to storage/bottling, but from what I've read from the very knowledgeable people on this forum, you need the PH of the sauce to be below or at 4 if you want to store it on the shelf at room temperature. You would accomplish that by fermenting it or by adding enough acid to the sauce to bring it down. From your recipe, it looks like you would not have the proper PH to be able to store it on the shelf at room temperature. So you'd need to store in the refrigerator which would let it keep for a couple of weeks at most.

i just dont like sauces that have a salt or vinegar taste,so i wont ever do any fermenting, i like to taste the peppers and ingredients rather drowned by sourness,
the only route is to mess up something good,by turning it into something that i wont like, so i wont mess with it.

thanks

i just dont like sauces that have a salt or vinegar taste,so i wont ever do any fermenting, i like to taste the peppers and ingredients rather drowned by sourness,
the only route is to mess up something good,by turning it into something that i wont like, so i wont mess with it.

thanks

Well if it's not imperative that you store at room temperature, just make small batches at a time and store it in the refrigerator. Then you can use it whenever you need it and if you use it often enough, you won't have any go to waste. Or you can do as SL suggested and make a large batch and separate it into small containers then freeze it. Whenever you need more, you can just thaw a container at a time.

You could put your mix into an ice tray and then in the freezer. When you need it, just take out a couple of your spicy cubes and leave the rest for another time. I do this sometimes when I make a big batch of sofrito.

Back