• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Safe To Use These Nutes With Raised Bed Plants?

Hi there.  I am still new to all this stuff, and was just given these by someone.  I am currently undergoing yellowing leaf issues, and they said these may help.  I was wondering if these would be safe to try?  They were for hydro originally I believe.  If so, Would it be best to follow the directions?  Thank you. 

Posting pictures of your plants would help us help you.

Keep in mind that, especially amongst new growers, the single most-common reason for yellowing is overwatering. Simply backing off of your watering will likely cause your plants to green up on their own. A fairly good sign for new growers to follow is to wait to water until the leaves droop just a tad. 

The age of your plants and your growing medium determines the right mixture of fertilizer. If you are using potting soil or bagged garden soil, you should be aware that most potting soil (not all, but most) and some bagged garden soil comes with fertilizer pre-mixed in it. Because of this, your plants need little additional fertilizer. Additionally, if you add too much fertilizer by using the directions on the label, you will burn your plants. However, if you are growing in the ground with regular soil, you may have more need for fertilizer. If your plants are still young, you will want to dilute the fertilizer more than recommended on the label. 

Very young plants need very little fertilizer - their cotyledons ("seed leaves") provide the food they need until the cotyledons fall off. Even after that, they are somewhat like human babies - they can't eat as much as an adult can. This is part of where pictures would help - I have no idea how mature your plants are at this point, so can only make guesses regarding what your plants might need at this point.   

Great, thank you. I will get updated pictures tomorrow afternoon. We have had a very large total rainfall recently, and I mean about 4" in a couple of weeks. The plants were looking different before the torrential rains came though. But as requested, I will post pics and soil details tomorrow.

Don't be shy of feeding your plants!
Either fert will fix any possible nitrogen deficiency.  FWIW, I'd lean toward the second, more balanced, mix.  If the plants are still rather small, start at 1/3~1/2 strength.  For larger peppers, start at 1/2 strength and observe for a few days before going WFO.  What are the mixing directions?

@geeme
Pictures as promised as per request.

vMMFPZw.jpg

LixFqQx.jpg

nkx0222.jpg

@Geonerd

#1 picture is 3ml / liter for regular plant growth and 5ml / liter for aggressive vegetative growth

#2 picture is 1 teaspoon per liter of water.

I do now have to say that I believe overwatering is my culprit. As in an earlier post we had gotten a LOT of rain recently. I may have overwatered a bit before the rains as we'll. I had not since watered. This evening I had taken a better look and the majority were actually looking better, before the extra unwanted 1/4" of rain came. I had also noticed a fair amount of lower bushy growth below the uppermost leaves. Also soil is a 4 way mix, standard topsoil. Thanks.

Back