• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Rub Science

Asian groceries or online. I have a Thai grocer by me, in Chinatown. Maybe you could call a Thai restaurant and ask if they buy locally.

JayT...... maybe you didn't look in the right area. I seldom see "fresh" Kaffir Lime Leaves in my Asian markets here in Texas. But they seem to always have them in the frozen section. Sometimes they call them Lemon leaves..... Guess you need to ask or know what they look like. You should be able to find them.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I've got a new rib rub with kola nut powder and brown sugar. Wow. Tastes like a Coca Cola, it caramelizes on the rib (for the caramel color flavor in Coke) and the cola flavor pops (thanks to cinnamon and vanilla also, which is known to give Coke its flavor). There is also lemongrass and kaffir lime for that contrast and citrus flavor, like adding a lemon to your Coke. Also Original Coke is said to have lime*. All of this on a savory base. This is a winner.

Next step: figuring out the heat. Fatalii? Or maybe stick with the Thai theme, Thai peppers.

The inspiration:
*Published versions say it contains sugar or high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, caffeine, phosphoric acid, coca extract, kola nut extract, lime extract, vanilla, and glycerin. Alleged syrup recipes vary greatly. The basic “cola” taste from Coca-Cola and competing cola drinks comes mainly from vanilla and cinnamon; distinctive tastes among various brands are the result of trace flavorings such as orange, lime and lemon and spices such as nutmeg.[1] Some natural colas also include cola nut; Coca-Cola does not, and chemical testing reveals none.[2]

Where did you find your kola nut powder? The only stuff I can find online is extracts that seem to be geared towards people taking them for the caffeine content. I have always wanted to get a nice coca cola like bark on meat, so much so that I reduced some Coke down and tried to use it as a mop, but that burnt and failed horribly. Sounds like you ae on to something.

You'll probably have to use the Internet. Here: https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=909
It's not "the" cola flavor by itself though, that's why I researched Original Coke and tinkered.

This rub creates a Coke bark like no other. Try your own version and post back.

Oh, and speaking of caffeinated beverage rubs :D

I've got a new rub for brisket. It's Sumatra coffee beans, chipotle, brown sugar, onion, garlic, dried Kaffir lime leaf, and salt (not in that order) all pulverized to a fine powder. You get all kinds of hits from this that are perfect for brisket. I'll use another pepper as well to kick it up and may tweak it, and I will attempt the actual brisket soon with pics. Mmmmmmm brisket.

I call this rub Brisket Buzz™.

Brisket Buzz™ will be making an appearance this summer. I believe a BBQ TD is in order.

Thanks, 'tis good. Add Pop Rocks for the soda fizz sensation. Just kidding.

The flavor goes great with ribs, and the bark is perfect. It's that bark you can peel off in pieces, with nice caramelization, and it's solid, so it traps all the juices in.

Possibly my best rub. I'm messing with a orange zest/ginger rub now for grilled chicken.

Back