• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Rodrigues Island ....Worlds smallest fiery chili pepper's Home

Friends,

I had heard about this small devils from a friend from Mauritius many decades back. All these years, I could not get any info about this supposed to be world's smallest chilli peppers (1cm length).
Today, just by chance, I came across these chillies details and as luck would have it, I got a snap too.

Here it is for you to see.
Any friend has any info on this?

4234655751_0eb0af46bb_o.jpg

NJA

I forgot to add that I had a chance to eat these devils about 8 years back with the same friend who had come visiting. They really sting like hornets.

I just read a blog which has something to say about Rodrigues chilli peppers as Hottest in world.

I quote,

"One of the most fiery Indian dishes is Vindaloo curry that includes pork or chicken in sauce made of lots of dried chillies with garlic and vinegar. If it does not satisfy your chili demands try Tindaloo which is a hotter version of Vindaloo. Undeniably the hottest curry in India and in the world is Phaal which include Bhut jolokia chili pepper, confirmed by the Guinness World Records as the most potent pepper on earth ( but honestly I think that the Rodriguan chilli beats it by far ! … bonnet or jalapenos are kids next to it )"

This blog has kindled my curiosity . Now I must get hold of this pepper seeds..

NJA

More on this blog,

http://shakunharris.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/chilli-spice-of-life/

NJA

. All these years, I could not get any info about this supposed to be world's smallest chilli peppers (1cm length).
i have smaller than that

I must be missing something. They don't look small or even like C. chinenses. Maybe its related to the world's hottest pepper the"Diablo negro":)

Honestly speaking, I am also puzzled. Yes, Rat's Turd as in Thai Prikk Kee Nuu.
The ones I ate were really that small ones and bloody hot as hell.

I must get my hands on some seeds.
Lemme contact my friend who has settled in Bangalore. He would have some connections in Mauritius.

NJA

came across looking for the Rodrigues Pepper or Piment Rodrigues. Did you ever have any lunck?
here is where I saw it: http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/73-africa/1732-mascarene-chile-cuisine

We have a very small pepper in the Caribbean. Smaller than those and we call it bird pepper and its hot as hell also. I will try to get some information on it.

I didn't notice either. have some wild eximium that makes pods the size of a BB they are not very hot though, the photo of the pickled pods look like Tobasco peppers in a way, I have some dried peppers that are about the same size of the peppers in the bottles.
That reminds me I need to grow them out this year to get fresh seeds as the ones I have are about three years old, but I have kept them in the freezer, so they should still have a few good seeds.

Peppers in the freezer don't have high germination rates. The seeds when they aren't dried out before freezing can have moisture in them that freezes and damaged he seed. First hand experience with that. The seeds from the frozen pod only yielded a 30% germination rate.

Back