• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Repotting Peppers in what soil?

Hey you all!  I'm about to repot some peppers and take them in for the winter and wanted to know what type of pre-bagged soil would be best for them?

My only option, unfortunately, would be a  local Home Depot or Lowes so it would have to be a more main stream type of soil.

Thanks!

You will probably get several opinons.

Being limited to Lowes and HD is unfortunate! Do you not have 'grow shops' in the Big Easy?

However, my recommendation, if you could get it, is a 50/50 mix of Fox Farms Tree Frog and Ocean Forest.

alkhall said:
You will probably get several opinons.

Being limited to Lowes and HD is unfortunate! Do you not have 'grow shops' in the Big Easy?

However, my recommendation, if you could get it, is a 50/50 mix of Fox Farms Tree Frog and Ocean Forest.
Thanks you all.  Ya we have a couple of shops and nurseries in the area but it is supposed to freeze Sunday night so it is a race at this point!

I use any generic potting soil with as little fertilizer as possible. They don't really care as long as it isn't for cacti or whatnot.

Boans said:
Thanks you all.  Ya we have a couple of shops and nurseries in the area but it is supposed to freeze Sunday night so it is a race at this point!

How much is it supposed to freeze? I've had plants survive light ones.

I'd vote for Fox Farms' Ocean Forest as the best widely available option.  Some folks report that this is a little too 'hot.' FWIW, I've used it straight without issue.

IMO, the Pro-Mix HP makes a GREAT additive, but is seriously shy of nutrients.

In 2014 I mixed FFOF and PMHP at near 50:50 with very good results.  
(This year's experiment with bulk fermented compost + soil wasn't exactly a screaming success.) 

If you leave most of the root ball intact, you can just drop the plant into the new container/soil and be good to go.

Geonerd said:
I'd vote for Fox Farms' Ocean Forest as the best widely available option.  Some folks report that this is a little too 'hot.' FWIW, I've used it straight without issue.

IMO, the Pro-Mix HP makes a GREAT additive, but is seriously shy of nutrients.

In 2014 I mixed FFOF and PMHP at near 50:50 with very good results.  
(This year's experiment with bulk fermented compost + soil wasn't exactly a screaming success.) 

If you leave most of the root ball intact, you can just drop the plant into the new container/soil and be good to go.

I am a believer in FF OF, but when I cut it with ProMix, I did not have results as good as when I cut it with FF HF. Just my personal experience.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest gets my vote. As long as the peppers are at least 30 days old, the high ammt. of nutrients in FFOF doesn't hurt them.
Now, tomatoes on the other hand....WAY too many nutes in FFOG, but that's for another thread.

Back