• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Jalapenos

Do all Jalapenos turn red? The first Jalap that I grew was Jalapeno Early, and now, in addition to that I am growing a regular one which are starting to have slight black tinges to the skin. Should I expect it to turn red as well?

To the best of my knowledge, and having asked a few Mexican friends, yes all jalapenos do turn red. I have personally grown 6 different kinds, No Heat, regular, Early, Goliath, purple and the TAM Mild jalapeno. I have also grown the Mucho Nacho which is a jalapeno relative.

Yeah go ahead and laugh at all the mild jalapenos on the list, but you have to break in the kids easy. I have one of the few 7 year old daughters who think that whole bbqed jalapenos are no more than candy.

I thought the purple ones tasted a little sweeter than a regular jalapeno and maybe a tad less hot. If it was a blind taste test, I doubt I could pick them out correctly 3 out of 5 times though. I do however think they had more fruit on them, and were a much prettier plant though. I will probably keep growiing them because of that reason more than any other. I forgot to order the seeds this year so I am not growing any other than store bought jalapeno plants and 1 no heat that was stuck in the bottom of a seed packet in the drawer in my garage.

There's a little Mexican produce stand next to my job here that sells red jalapenos...they said they leave 'em on the vine longer than usual so the peppers turn from green to red...and let me tell you, they're pretty violent for a jalapeno. I swear they're the hottest fresh jalapenos around here.

What about blueing/purpleing in jalapenos, is this normal. Many of mine get a bluish colouration before maturity. It seems genetic since certain varieties seem worse than others and it doesn't seem to effect the taste. My Greek Pepperoncini pods are going purpleish too but I think it got a little sun scald.

Back