• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help recipe for non-painful hotsauce?

So, I do enjoy the pain factor of the ghost-pepper sauce I bought. But I would like to make my own sauce and actually taste a flavor.

Anyone have a mild, flavorful hotsauce recipe?

Brian

BTW, I notice that many recipes add salt to the recipe. If it's that hot, can you even taste the salt, or any of the ingredients for that matter?

hey,
300 grams of what ever chillies u want
130 mls of vinegar
1 mango
1 quarter to half a pineapple
1 whole chunk of garlic [ not 1 clove the whole thing] cant think wat its called
1 large carrot
salt and pepper to taste
260 mls of water add more later if needed

cut everything in peices throw into large pot boil for a hour then slowly simmer and reduce for another hour or until sorta thick. add more water when needed or until u want it to your desired thickeness and contine process. if too thin add more chillies or cornflour

pm me if need help or more info

Welcome!

Chiles are pretty interchangable as far as heat goes. You will notice a different flavor when comparing a red Ancho-type to a red habanero-type. But for a beginner, just pick a recipe that sounds good for the "rest of the ingredients" and then sub in a milder chile if required.

There are lots of heat-level charts on the web for the different chiles. I'm sure you can find a good one. Most grocery stores have some of the milder chiles in stock. Another idea is to use some bell peppers as filler and instead of using 20 trinidad scorpions, use one TS and a bell pepper.

Here's a bunch of good recipes, just start reading and you'll get a good idea of ingredients that go well together.
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipe_home.html

Have Fun!

So I ended up making my first hotsauce, not too bad. Hot, but not painful.

Here's what I did:
I took some Ajito (sp?) peppers, serrano peppers, garlic and onions and chopped them up small, cooked in a skillet of olive oil for a while.
Put water, lemon juice, vinegar, and the above in a blender for a long time. Took it out and put it to a low boil for 10 minutes or so.

Came out pretty good. But since I didn't use any measurements, it came out too vinagery. So, two questions:

1. Does the procedure sound reasonable?
2. What could I have done once it was too vinegary? Next time should I add vinegar a little at a time?

Oh, and it came out green, so I called it "Devil's Bile"

Your sauce sounds very reasonable. If it is to vinegary i would add more of the other ingredients, always taste as you go along and adjust accordingly. Keep making more sauce, look at other recipes for inspiration, and it'll probably be hit and miss for a while till you get a good feel for what goes with what.

sugar will counterbalance the vinegar flavor in the batch you have. For future, add vinegar a little at a time. Also, I'd suggest keeping this batch in the refer as it has oil in it from the saute.

BTW, I notice that many recipes add salt to the recipe. If it's that hot, can you even taste the salt, or any of the ingredients for that matter?

As your tolerance for hot peppers builds, you will be able to taste more of the additional flavors in the sauces, as well as the chilis themselves. The first time I ate a habanero, I thought it was all heat with little flavor. Now when I eat one, the full flavor profile is much easier to distinguish.

Reactions: nee
You may also try adding a filler like a carrot which should help the consistency and use different types of vinegar as well. Something like red wine vinegar, white balsamic etc.

Back