• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Re-hydrating cabbage

Has anyone tried this? Last fall, I had three heads of cabbage that I knew I couldn't keep, so I sliced and diced them, then dehydrated the leaves. They've been in the freezer (it has lots of room) and now I want to use some. I know it works great in soup or stew, but I want to make some cole slaw.

If you have tried this, do you have a recipe, such as how long to keep the stuff in water, etc.?

Mike

Thanks for all the replies! J/K

I'm happy to report the experiment works. The cabbage is not quite as crisp as it is coming directly from the garden, but then once it sits in salad dressing for a while even fresh isn't that cripsy. But it tastes like cabbage and pretty much retained its green color. Linda was sketical but (begrudingly?) said it was good.

If I do anything differently this summer, I will slice the cabbage rather than shred it.

Mike

try pickling it Mike...you sould put some in vinegar and add a couple of peppers and have a hot pickled cabage dish....

wordwiz said:
Thanks for all the replies! J/K

Mike

I've never tried to dehydrate cabbage before, never even heard of anyone doing it. I was waiting excitedly for someone else to answer.

AJ,

The goal was to have fresh cole slaw to put on BBQ in the middle of winter. I will try every recipe I can find this fall - I have lots of room in the basement to store stuff. But I gotta have a disticnt recipe, not add some vinegar and a couple of peppers!

Pam, that's why I wanted to share what I found. I've learned so much stuff in the short time I've belonged that maybe my experiments will help others.

I've found dehyrating, while taking a a nice period of time to accomplish, worth the time, effort and minimal cost. But I do want to try blanching some of it, unless others have tried it and found it doesn't work. I have plenty of room in the freezer and wonder if it may actually work better. From my experience, though, leafy stuff that is frozen (unless it can be flash frozen and I don't have the equipment to do that) tends to degrade when thawing.

Mike

Sorry Mike...

I understand the fresh slaw on BBQ thing...I have no experience with cabbage.

Extra cabbage? Kimchi!!!!!

I see you mentioned this towards the end, but you can just blanch them then seal them in a (vacuum) food sealer, they should hold up for 1 year or more ? that way. or if you're only talking about storing in the freezer for a couple months maybe just vacuum seal the cabbage,fresh but chopped.
I dont know if blanching is a must for cabbage ? I've never looked that up because I dont deal with it for saving.

you can pick up a decent (vacuum) food sealer for about $100 or less ?
I reccommend food saver brand, never had a problem with mine. they also sell them at walmart

Back