• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Question for Smokers (Pic)

I've smoked lots of green and red peppers over the years.  I'm getting ready to dehydrate a batch of yellows and oranges and am contemplating putting a bit of smoke on them first.  Has anyone smoked peppers that have citrus notes?  I've got peach, apple and hickory wood as options.  My wife says, "no smoke" and I'm not sure if it would be a good combo - but just may have to try.  Thanks.

Peppers (left to right):  Fatalii, Beni Highland (top), Habanero, Lemon Aji (top), CNG21500.

9736423999_14160276f5_c.jpg

You don't have to smoke dry it for 6 days like a chipotle.

You could cold smoke it for 6 hours, and add a nice flavor. Pecan wood is good for peppers, it is mild but nutty. It gives a nice toasted quality to peppers.

Hickory and mesquite are too strong.

Cherry and apple work good too. But I'd go pecan. Or mix pecan with a fruit wood.

Peach and apple are both great for smoking Fatalii. I have also smoked them with pear wood and that is just awesome IMO. I have never had the other types of peppers to play with, but I have found hickory best for meats.
And I do a slow and low 4 hour smoke then dehydrate them in the dehydrator. I have also done a hot and heavy smoke for 40 minutes.
Both have the same intensity, but fast makes a slightly harsher flavor

Thanks guys, I will set aside the hickory for meat.  I opted to dehydrate this batch without a light smoking.  I've got tons of fataliis coming in, so I'll hit them with a little peach/apple next time.  In the past I have aimed for 2-3 hours max at about 180 degrees.  Anything more and it gets cooked!

I have an electric Brinkmann smoker and a load of chips(due to my love of finding it and a friend with an industrial chipper), so I just put a 1.5 inch later on the bottom even though it covers the element. Then I plug it in for about 5 minutes until a good smoke is rolling, unplug it and let it smolder on it's own. Takes about 3-4 hours. At the end I usually plug it back in for a good 10 minutes to burn up the rest of the chips that may have no burnt. Have fun, they will taste great either way.

The Hot Pepper said:
You don't have to smoke dry it for 6 days like a chipotle.

You could cold smoke it for 6 hours, and add a nice flavor. Pecan wood is good for peppers, it is mild but nutty. It gives a nice toasted quality to peppers.

Hickory and mesquite are too strong.

Cherry and apple work good too. But I'd go pecan. Or mix pecan with a fruit wood.

I agree for the most part with what you said Boss, but will have to disagree about the mesquite being too strong.  MuskyMojo sent me a mesquite smoked powder that was out of this world!  Never have asked him what peppers he used in the mix, but it was one of the most delicious powders I've tried.

By too strong I meant they will impart a lot of flavor, which you may not want. I can see doing mesquite, for a smoky mesquite flavor that would be killer on potato chips. But the fruit woods let the pepper flavor shine. And the pecan adds a nutty toasted flavor. It all depends on what the powder is for. So yeah.

Anyone else tried Chestnut? I have found it shines with any Chocolate variety of a strain from Choc Hab to Choc Bhut...at least that I have had access to and tried.

Back