• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Question about loading seeds into Jiffy Peat Pellets ...

When you guys and gals put your seeds into the peat pellets, what technique do you use and does it really matter?

Last year, when I had my stuff germinate much quicker, I went deeper, a 1/2" or more in some cases.

This year I pulled the peat back and dropped them in about 1/4" and put the peat I pulled back on top of that. Very slow germination.

Would it help to physically push the seeds into the peat with some tweezers or other tool?

About the only thing I can think of that would cause the seeds to germinate faster the deeper they're planted is being closer to the heat source. I'm just struggling to think there could be that much of a difference in a 1/4" of peat.

Don't think it really matters how they get into the growing medium.

I sprout my seeds in cotton first, then when the root starts to grow out of the seed, then I put it in the jiffy pellet root facing down. I put them only just below the surface of the soil. no wasted jiffy pellets that way and they grow very well.

I use a bamboo Kabob skewer and make a hole about 1/4 inch deep and then use the stick to cover and tamp the soil down a bit on top. I've had quick germination and good % so far. Along with warmer temps a little lower, the pellets dry a little more quickly on the surface. I soak my seeds first to ensure they're hydrated well before I plant them. Even under the plastic dome I still mist the pellets every few days to make sure they're nice and moist. but not too wet. Soaking and planting a little deeper have the added benefit of reducing the # of seed helmets as well.
Hope this helps!
Shane

My theory was that the seed would soften and uptake water much less quickly if you just layed the seed in there and covered it, versus actually pressing it down into the peat.  Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not expert growing as this is my first year - but I used Jiffy pots this year - 72 cell - put 2 seeds in each one using a bamboo skewer about an 1/2" deep. Covered with the top it came with, put over heating pad and maintained 85-89 degrees. Within 10 days I have over 63 of 144 sprouted. I was hoping for around 50% germination and I'm getting close. Only thing taking their sprouting time are the Jamacian Chocolate Habaneros and the Yucatan White Habaneros. Everything else seems to be coming right along.

I soak the pellets overnight then squeeze to fluff. Then I stick a pencil in to make a hole, drop the seed and poke in again with pencil if necessary and squeeze the pellet again to 'cover' the seed. I don't use them for peppers though- mostly sweet pea flowers and other things that hate transplanting. Peppers don't mind so I don't waste the money.

I soak the seeds in tap water with altered pH to 6.0 and a few drops of humate acid extract. This is said to help soften the seed shell and make it easier for roots to crack open the shell. Then after one day I put them to jiffy pellet about 1/2 inch deep- I like to think that only the really strong and vital seeds will make it to the surface if I out them a bit deeper than usual. Works fine.

Back