• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Question about Capsicum Oleoresin

Ok I have been doing some research on CAP. I have found countles places to buy Liquid Capsicum Oleoresin. I have only found a couple that sell Pure Capsicum. The one herbal site said that Capsicum Oleoresin is about 1.5 million scovies where as the Pure Capsicum (which they say is a yellowish-white crystal) is minimum of 15 million scovies. I know no matter what the scovie rating is (whether its 1.5 or 15 million) this stuff is HOT. My main reason for looking at the crystal is that I do not want the chemical taste that comes with Capsicum Oleoresin and thought by going with the crystal stuff I could jump the heat up without the chemical taste.

I have, but haven't tried the stuff from this guy. muso2112 at e-bay. Look at 'how stupid am I ' post.
I've been trying a lot of extract sauces lately and went into anaplylactic shock a couple of weeks ago. Unrelated to sauce, but it really weakened my throat, stomach, and whole body. I haven't gotten up to trying Defcon or his stuff yet, but give me a few more days of testing. :?

He has this and others for sale now.
Ebay Cap sale link

You can search e-bay for what you want too. Might get lucky. But, like I said, read the comments on my post first. Frank

(Edited by Tina to make Ebay Link a link: 10-25-05)

Dyce,
Capsaicin crystal in its pure form is NOT to be played with, especially if you are even THINKING about adding it to food. Anything in the range of over 4-5 million Scovilles is just plain nasty, and even attempting to handle 15-16 million without proper protective gear (and maybe a clean room and auto-sterilization unit) is foolish at best. I have some of the pure crystal, and have no intention of ever opening the vessel. It's for show only, as there is no need to try it. Unless you have about 5000 gallons of chili you want to add it to, there will be no pleasure in eating it. Many people I have met over the years have a large misconception about capsaicin, and believe nothing is too hot for them. Anyone who even remotely believes they can ingest even a single crystal of the stuff is fooling themselves, and if they are even the slightest bit asthmatic, will probably end up with an airway that slams shut, as they try to dial 911 without a voice, meanwhile turning blue. Please take my advice, if you want the pure crystal, by all means get it, and admire it on your shelf. It may be 'cool' to own, but its ingestion is just foolish. Don't take this as a personal slam, I'm just here to give you advice, and pure crystal is no toy to experiment with food with. As for the taste, find an extract that was made without the use of ketones (like our ZERO, sorry, shameless plug).

Hey Defcon....No slam or offense taken. I am still learning about the hot sauce and what I can do. Although I already have some recipes I am always (like others) working on more. I just thought by going with the crystal form I could get away from the chemical taste. The one company (out of India) even said that they can Kosher certify the crysal as well.

Physical
Appearance :
Yellowish WhiteCrystals

Total
Capsaicinoids %: 95

Capsaicin % DH :Minimum 60

Capsaicin % ND :Minimum 27

Capsaicin % Maximum 8

and then they went on to say thatit is packaaged 5lbs in polybags and packed in cartons
10 kgs jute bag.

I am just tryuing to learn a lil more about this stuff.....

5 pounds of crystal??? Dude, unless you have a clean room and a Tyvek suit with an external air source and a decontamination shower, I wouldn't even touch it. When you open that bag up, the cute little puff of dust that will rise (most of it so small you can't even see it) will burn you out. There is no use for that stuff, unless of course you are looking to ward off the entore population of bears in Yellowstone Park. Did you inquire whether or not this stuff is supposably edible? The remaining 5% may be ketone derivatives (when eaten will usually cause renal failure, or just blindness if you're lucky), and they may not have to disclose it, as the FDA doesn't exist in India. The whole fact you are buying it directly from India doesn't make it sound any more appetizing, as you won't be able to do anything to them if something goes wrong. The Kosher Capsaicin thing almost made me fall off my chair in laughter. Just the picture of a Rabbi in a Tyvek suit blessing the evil crystal, what a visual. Well, you do what you want, but this whole thing sounds very strange. India is not even requesting any sort of HAZMAT documentation from you for this amount of crystal? Something doesn't sound right. How much, praytell, is this little package of Armageddon costing you?

I haven't emailed for price.....and after reading what you have had to say I think I'll just stick to the stuff that is known to be "safe" (for lack of better terms). Thanks for the advice. I don't wanna be responsible for someone goin blind or renal failure so I think you will be hearing from me in the near future!!!I still have the P.M. you sent me a while ago regarding DEFCON 0 so I will be ordering soon. Like I said before I just wanted to know about that stuff before I made any mistakes. Thank you very much John.

--Joe

as for my sauces....I have a few contracts and legal mubo jumbo to go through and I have another meeting in November (*after my surgery is done) And then "JOJO Juice" will be **Hopefully** in full swing.

Cool. I just really don't want to see you get hurt. As for your sauces, I wish you the best of luck. There are plenty of products out there from the US that you can use that will kick the heat up as far as you want. After a few million Scovilles, the taste of a sauce will get lost in the heat anyway. As you will see from many of the producers on this site, flavor is much more important than heat. And heat is great, but not in the form of burnt-out eye sockets and tracheal closure.

Dyce
Flavor I beleive is as important as heat.
It don't take much of a craftsman to make something just hot the craftsman can match flavor with heat.

We here at Kato's wish you much success and once you are looking to market your sauces Kato's will be interested.

Good Luck
Mick
Kato's

thanks Kato.....Right now the sauce I just worked up has (in my opinion) a great fruity type flavor that lasts for a couple of seconds then really kicks ya in the teeth. My neighbor, who loves hot stuff, made nachos with it and told me that the sauce is almost too hot eat by itself. I will let ya know once it is bottled, labeled, and ready to go.

Dyce51 said:
thanks Kato.....Right now the sauce I just worked up has (in my opinion) a great fruity type flavor that lasts for a couple of seconds then really kicks ya in the teeth. My neighbor, who loves hot stuff, made nachos with it and told me that the sauce is almost too hot eat by itself. I will let ya know once it is bottled, labeled, and ready to go.

Dyce, if you decide to go the natural heat route, get back to me and I'll get you a manufacturers' rate on 90% habanero pepper mash.

Holy cow... I'm with Defcon... Stay away from that Indian stuff unless is FDA approved: and even then... Yuck!!! ok, wait, that's my anti-extract personality taking over the keyboard...

There... That's better: unbiased me again.

Good luck to you. I can't wait to see what you come up with for market.

T

Back