• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Purchasing a greenhouse

Has anyone here purchased (for instance, from GreenhouseMegastore.com) one of the assemble it yourself models? Maybe something that would accomodate 10-12 plants.

They don't look terribly expensive and I'm wondering if it would:

--Improve the quality of the plant by providing it some shade and overall better environment control.
--Get them off the porch, give my girl a rest and upgrade the plants living quarters.

Did you purchase one and feel duped? Was it a positive experience having a safe and private haven. Were they tolerant of storms.

Any advice or commentary would be helpful in making the right decision.

Thanks!

I have a small rolling one I got at Lowe's for I think $40., maybe less.  It was good for getting the plants out of the house and hardening them up.  If you aren't moving them great distances I'd say it was worth the price I paid.

Pepperhead said:
I have a small rolling one I got at Lowe's for I think $40., maybe less.  It was good for getting the plants out of the house and hardening them up.  If you aren't moving them great distances I'd say it was worth the price I paid.
Got a pic?

If you go with a Harbor Freight, the very first thing you should do is throw away the instructions that came with it. Next step, Google is your friend. Learn from those who have already gone thorugh the pain of trying to follow the directions that came with it.

If you are building the 6x8, look here.
If you are building the 10x12, look here.

We built the 10x12. Had my wife and I choose to attempt to build it with the directions included, I can almsot guarantee we would have gotten a divorce :)

Good luck with it.

yep... 10- 12 plants.....  my god the next year you will want 30 plants and the next year after that the magic number 100...

so go straight to the 12x30 or more greenhouse  :)

2.25-ft L x 1.58-ft W x 5.33-ft H Metal Greenhouse. 
If you get this one, when you put it together tie down the metal shelving to the crossbars.  They don't sit very securely on them.  Other than that it comes apart and goes together easily, stores easily, maybe not worth $40 materially, but if used properly will probably last a few years.

greenhouse.jpg

+1. I used the same directions. I screwed and doubled the clips on the panels. Also put cross members on every post. If you use gas/black pipe you can store LIGHT things on them.

Snarg said:
If you go with a Harbor Freight, the very first thing you should do is throw away the instructions that came with it. Next step, Google is your friend. Learn from those who have already gone thorugh the pain of trying to follow the directions that came with it.

We built the 10x12. Had my wife and I choose to attempt to build it with the directions included, I can almsot guarantee we would have gotten a divorce :)

Good luck with it.

Snarg said:

Good luck with it.
I am thinking the same thing as you. I think I am going the same route that Snarg has mentioned here. It seems like the safest way to go and room to grow. 

Back