• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Potting Up with Jiffy Pots

Im moving my plants from indoors to outdoors in the global bucket setup that is in a few threads here and on the net http://www.globalbuckets.org/ I currently have my plants in the square jiffy pots with the roots starting to come thru - should I take the plant out of the pot carefully and breaking some roots or tear the "excess" pots from the top and plant it jiffy pot and all?
Im leary that the plant wont grow thru and end up stunted and one root ball in the center of my bucket

Im moving my plants from indoors to outdoors in the global bucket setup that is in a few threads here and on the net http://www.globalbuckets.org/ I currently have my plants in the square jiffy pots with the roots starting to come thru - should I take the plant out of the pot carefully and breaking some roots or tear the "excess" pots from the top and plant it jiffy pot and all?
Im leary that the plant wont grow thru and end up stunted and one root ball in the center of my bucket
LD'
Ive used jiffy pots for several years, both in raised beds and then in buckets last year and again this year.
I've not experience any noticeable stunted growth, or (last year anyway) any root ball issue in the buckets when I emptied them out.
Lets stay in touch regarding global bucket findings. When I finish re-planting, I'll have 50 or so GB's and probably 5 or 6 of an earth-box style.
CM

Thanks CM - It would be a ton easier to put the whole pot in than disturb the roots that have developed. I should around 20 or so myself this year of peppers alone and one tomatoe not sure if wifey is sold yet for her other veggies. Yeah lets keep in touch with this - its my first year with this method and Im throwing all my eggs in one basket -

Question for the jiffy pot users.....have you compared the growth of the plants in/not in jiffy pots? (same variety and seed batch of course?)

here is a worrysome thread about jiffy pots I think maybe what I'll do is cut the bottoms out mentioned in the thread. The pots should stay moist because of the wicking system and may improve moisture content of the soil (?)

LD...I have only had one experience with the jiffy pots and that was some I planted straight in my raised bed without messing with the pot years ago...they didn't grow very well and I was really disappointed so I have not used them since...not saying they are bad, I just had a bad experience with them...

My experience is that you should at least break the pot up a bit before planting. It decomposes very slowly, and can inhibit root growth. Also make sure you completely bury the pot, because the wicking effect works in reverse, too (meaning that if the pot is exposed it will draw moisture out of the ground and into the air).

Otherwise, I haven't had any problems. They don't quite work as advertised, but I wouldn't say they're any better or worse than other potting options. If you're not one to sanitize and reuse pots from year to year, it's one way to cut down on waste.

Question for the jiffy pot users.....have you compared the growth of the plants in/not in jiffy pots? (same variety and seed batch of course?)

AJ,
I have not done a comparison since shifting to containers...but, when I emptied the ones from last season, I inspected the roots/root ball closely, and there was absolutely no evidence or remains of the jiffy pot.

However, over the years of using them in my raised beds, I had better results with the jiffy pots than when I transplanted from reusable pots. The "Jiffy" plants seemed to rebound more quickly to their new surroundings without missing a beat. I began thinking I had probably stressed the young plant and damaged the roots somewhat when transplanting. So the final 4 or 5 years of raised bed gardening, nearly all of my plants were from jiffy pots.
That being said,I didn't do any formal comparisons by variety or seed batch. So I'd consider my findings to be more anecdotal than empirical.

Also make sure you completely bury the pot, because the wicking effect works in reverse, too (meaning that if the pot is exposed it will draw moisture out of the ground and into the air).
using Globalbuckets you seal the top of the bucket with plastic...

If it were me LD i would most likely carfully remove the pot and chop it up and mix it with the mix in my wicking cup at the bottom :) good luck my 1 GB i built is doing very well so far about double in size allready

Honestly they were an interim solution I knew I was planting out soon but they were growing faster than anticipated, good and bad, I will cut the top of the pot and the bottom off and then plant well in to the bucket.

I hear you AJ I have done the mesh pellets and had to cut them free and other jiffy like pots not disintegrating all that much - I have used the Solo cups before with good success I thought I would give my "more experienced" go at it and chalk the problems up to noob excitement :cool:

Back