• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Potting soil with fertilizer, small plants/fruits

I have grown peppers in pots some years ago and I always got small plants with TONS of leaves and much smaller fruits than the ones planted in the ground.

I used Miracle Grow potting soil that had a fertilizer in it already. 
I used 12" pots and 5 gallon buckets.

I have started to grow again and this time I am using Scotts potting soil with fertilizer in 5 gallon bucket. I just planted this yesterday so I don't know whats going to happen.

What am I doing wrong?  Is the name brand potting soil have too much nitrogen in it?  Because I have heard that if you have lots of nitrogen in the soil it will give you lots of green leaves.

Should I make my own potting soil?  If so, what are some of your mixes(like what do you use to make it)?  I don't know much about this so any info can help.

this is my first "real" grow season. based on recommendations here, i put everything into promix HP. fertilize with three parts...masterblend, CaNO3 and MgSO4 from morgan county seeds. going just about....perfectly so far.

My first grow season and I'm on a budget. The person I got my plants from gave me a cheap easy blend to make. It's the same thing square foot gardening suggests:
1 part peat moss
1 part compost
1 part vermiculite

She also gave me some composted manure that I put at the bottom of the hole when I planted.
For compost I used some leaf compost I unintentionally made over the past few years on the side of my house and mixed it with mushroom compost I bought.
So far so good. My squash and tomatoes are already being eaten and about 1/2 my pepper plants have pods on them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input.

Cubbieblue, how often is it recommended to fertilize with the blend you posted?

eternalsoil, I was looking for the soil blend too, Thanks.

Back