• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Potting soil questions

I'm a relative "newbie," as this is my third season. I always start my seeds in potting soil. When they sprout, they always grow well in the soil. The problem with my setup, is that my germination rates aren't very good. Would they be better if I started the seeds in a different growing medium?

You want something fine w/o ferts to start seeds and preferably sterile. You could try keeping what you're using now, just sift out the larger particles.

I tried two methods this year. I did my normal seed starting soil with bottom heat in a dome, then I decided to try the jiffy greenhouse with peat pellets with bottom heat as well. I experienced 90% germination rates in the peat pellets compared to a near 70% germination rate in seed starting soil. I'm beginning to become a fan of the peat pellets again. Just make sure you transplant them out of the peat ASAP as they have problems with water retention etc.... and the peat pellet green houses are so cheap as well.

read in the forums everyone uses what he prefers alot of different brands out there i use ferry morse or jiffy seeding mix same company, also premium coconut coir mixed with pro mix. don't use any miracle grow crap it will kill your seeds.

Straticus said:
I tried two methods this year. I did my normal seed starting soil with bottom heat in a dome, then I decided to try the jiffy greenhouse with peat pellets with bottom heat as well. I experienced 90% germination rates in the peat pellets compared to a near 70% germination rate in seed starting soil. I'm beginning to become a fan of the peat pellets again. Just make sure you transplant them out of the peat ASAP as they have problems with water retention etc.... and the peat pellet green houses are so cheap as well.

Ya know...I had GREAT germination results with the peat pucks but maybe I waited to long to get them outta there because the lil guys never really got their first true leaves and most died. Only had one 72 count tray of the peat pucks, the other 3 trays were Jiffy seedling mix trays. I kept waiting for true leave before I transplanted them because that what I kept reading from many people on the forums. I had less germination but better growth using the Jiffy seedling mix. I'm kind of torn as to how I feel about the peat pucks. I may try them again next year and just wait for them to sprout in the peat pucks, then cut off the outter netting and put them straight into soil and see how that goes.

I'm using coir plugs with 90+% germination (orange and red Habs). I've found if one waters (after germination) with a dilute 16-16-16 (for example), that the seedlings do well and then once I see a root out the bottom I place the plug/seedling in a pot undisturbed. It seems to work very well.

I just got a Wonder Brick and I'm going to try that next year. I have been using Pro-Mix BX with a lot of success but I'm not going to buy a bag or bale just to start seeds. But if you need the potting soil anyway, it's an easy way to go.

I read about the peat pucks and although this is only my 2nd year I can say I've gotten about 90% with all my seeds and the jiffy pucks with a dome. I usually just place a 100 watt CFL directly above the dome just in case a seedling sneaks up and starts looking for light before I can get it out of the dome. This seems to help if you can only check your plants once a day.

Back