• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Please help my pepper plants!

I've seen that happen with the tips before, but I don't know about direct cause or a quick solution. Sometimes the cause and effect of these types of conditions can get muddled. It could be fungal. I don't think it's leaf spot per se. In the earlier pictures there was some necrosis at the leaf tips and margins. The grayness may be simply dead leaf tissue absorbing the fungicide or perhaps there's fungus in the leaf tissue that's now dying.

The more I think about it and reflect on similar plant problems I've had before (and having eliminating some early thoughts after hearing more about your setup) I suspect the problems are ultimately coming from issues with the roots/media. This could have started some time back, with you seeing the results of it more recently. I've done media changes before in these situations with successful results. It's a big step, but it gives the plant a solid footing and strength to fight conditions that might have taken hold while the plant was weakened.

Wish I had something better for you. It's no fun having these kinds of hassles in your grow.

I've seen that happen with the tips before, but I don't know about direct cause or a quick solution. Sometimes the cause and effect of these types of conditions can get muddled. It could be fungal. I don't think it's leaf spot per se. In the earlier pictures there was some necrosis at the leaf tips and margins. The grayness may be simply dead leaf tissue absorbing the fungicide or perhaps there's fungus in the leaf tissue that's now dying.

The more I think about it and reflect on similar plant problems I've had before (and having eliminating some early thoughts after hearing more about your setup) I suspect the problems are ultimately coming from issues with the roots/media. This could have started some time back, with you seeing the results of it more recently. I've done media changes before in these situations with successful results. It's a big step, but it gives the plant a solid footing and strength to fight conditions that might have taken hold while the plant was weakened.

Wish I had something better for you. It's no fun having these kinds of hassles in your grow.
I appreciate all the insight, thank you!

If I were to do a media change, should I look at maybe less perlite? That 3:2:3 mix I mentioned seems to be great for the other plants, so I'm a little unsure how to proceed with changing it for these ones. Or is that something I'll probably need to decide myself after uprooting the plants and taking a look at the soil?

I'd sure consider going with less perlite (fluffy soil is what I strive for) and also perhaps smaller containers (if you have them) more closely fitting the root balls depending on how you find them. Seeing the condition and size of the roots and structure of the soil should help with making those assessments. I took some time to really try to think about the issues and what I've experienced before and the time I remember as most similar I was using a perlite that had a fair amount of smaller particle "dust" in it. When I got into the media it seems apparent that the roots weren't breathing well so I did the things I could to get them into well-aerated soil conditions where they wouldn't be choked by the media or sustained wetness. It's hard to say why things seem to work fine sometimes and result in issues other times. Perhaps multiple factors just combine sometimes and prevent the plants from getting established well enough to overcome what they otherwise might.

I'd sure consider going with less perlite (fluffy soil is what I strive for) and also perhaps smaller containers (if you have them) more closely fitting the root balls depending on how you find them. Seeing the condition and size of the roots and structure of the soil should help with making those assessments. I took some time to really try to think about the issues and what I've experienced before and the time I remember as most similar I was using a perlite that had a fair amount of smaller particle "dust" in it. When I got into the media it seems apparent that the roots weren't breathing well so I did the things I could to get them into well-aerated soil conditions where they wouldn't be choked by the media or sustained wetness. It's hard to say why things seem to work fine sometimes and result in issues other times. Perhaps multiple factors just combine sometimes and prevent the plants from getting established well enough to overcome what they otherwise might.
I'll give it a go at some point and see what I see. Thank you again!

Update: First plant isn't  fully healed as its still showing some symptoms, but it is significantly improved and pumping out (5) peppers! Both edema and symptoms on second plant are improved, but not to the extent of the first plant.

Things I changed:
* Switched from 1/4 strength to 1x strength MaxiBloom fertilizer.
* Switched from 1x strength TPS CalMag to 1Tbsp of gypsum pellets added to the soil, to reduce Magnesium but increase calcium.
* Doubled airflow

Seems to be working, I think this was a mix of nutrient deficiency, Magnesium toxicity(?), and poor airflow resulting in degrading leaf conditions with the very extensive edema/intumescence observed at first.

Attachments

• 20231025_085640.jpg
    20231025_085640.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231025_085635.jpg
    20231025_085635.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231025_085652.jpg
    20231025_085652.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231025_085657.jpg
    20231025_085657.jpg