• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Pepper oils and vinegar??

I half peppers, put them in a jar and let them soak in either oil or vinegar.  I dont refrigerate either.  When I run out of the liquid, I add more and let them soak again.  The vinegar goes on things like french fries  The oil is usually used in cooking.  A friend just told me I will wind up killing myself with this practice.  Thing is, neither oil or vinegar are generally refrigerated.

Is my friend over the top with the concern?

The oil is the concern. It creates an anaerobic environment which is a breeding ground for bacteria and botulism. Pro tip: Anything with oil refrigerate. Oil itself, fine unrefrigerated.

Herbs and garlic (and peppers etc.) in oil mixtures are considered potentially hazardous food items by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) because of the large number of cases of botulism that have been traced to improperly stored commercial and home-prepared mixtures of garlic and oil. Short refrigerated or frozen storage is necessary because all other conditions that favor growth of C. botulinum are met: low acid environment with pH higher than 4.6, anaerobic conditions (oil), food and moisture source (garlic), not boiled before eating.

The Hot Pepper said:
The oil is the concern. It creates an anaerobic environment which is a breeding ground for bacteria and botulism. Pro tip: Anything with oil refrigerate. Oil itself, fine unrefrigerated.
Ugggg, OK no more leaving the pepper oil out.  Now wondering about all those people who make the crafty herbs n oil.  Do they hot process and seal then refrigerate after opening?  I know some are for looks, but I am sure some folk use them on salad and what not.  Maybe they are just dumb like me?

AJ Drew said:
Ugggg, OK no more leaving the pepper oil out.  Now wondering about all those people who make the crafty herbs n oil.  Do they hot process and seal then refrigerate after opening?  I know some are for looks, but I am sure some folk use them on salad and what not.  Maybe they are just dumb like me?
I might just be dumb like you and killing myself. I dehydrate the peppers, garlic or other herbs and then heat the oil to 190f and then fill bottles. I do not refridgerate before or after opening. Right now I am enjoying a bottle that I prepared last year and I have not had any issues.

I do sterilize bottles first to help with any nasties too.

I would follow what the experts advise versus what I do.

I keep thinking on Roman soldiers carrying vinegar and herbs to treat wounds.  They would carry it around in animal bladders,  Now starting to understand the improvements in life expectancy since then,

My grandparents, all being Italian would first cure various vegetables by pressing them for a few days in either a brine or vinegar. Then when they were ready they would put them in olive oil.

You could look up Italian recipes for preserving to see how.

Tastes great and is much safer.

I make a chili oil with thai and a few superhots and after reading some posts on THP in the past i decided to start putting it in the fridge. I also cut reapers in half and soak them in vinegar with some garlic and put it in the fridge to "marinate" for a few months and then i make a very hot Louisiana style hot sauce. I have been heating the vinegar to near boiling and the pouring it over the peppers that are in the jars and store in the fridge. Do you guys think it is necessary to heat the vinegar or could i just pour it on the peppers?

parker49 said:
I make a chili oil with thai and a few superhots and after reading some posts on THP in the past i decided to start putting it in the fridge. I also cut reapers in half and soak them in vinegar with some garlic and put it in the fridge to "marinate" for a few months and then i make a very hot Louisiana style hot sauce. I have been heating the vinegar to near boiling and the pouring it over the peppers that are in the jars and store in the fridge. Do you guys think it is necessary to heat the vinegar or could i just pour it on the peppers?
There are others here much wiser than me but with vinegar I think you are fine to not heat, but it probably helps with the speed of infusion. Referring to white vinegar at 5% acidity. Other vinegars with lower acidity might be more important to heat.

Back