• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting pepper identification (Don't know in what color I should harvest)

Hello,
I lost the tags for the names of my peppers, I do remember that there were 4 different kinds. 
I also will welcome any advises on when to harvest the peppers.

********************   Plant one *****************:

********************   Plant two *****************:

********************   Plant three *****************:

********************   Plant four *****************:

Thanks

willard3 said:
This should be posted in the "Pepper ID" section, specifically for these posts.
But I am actually asking about harvest times.. I can just open two different threads, but I thought one will be a better solution.

oren_a said:
But I am actually asking about harvest times.. I can just open two different threads, but I thought one will be a better solution.
Pick them when they're ripe. You can wait a day or two after they fully turn color but don't wait too long or they'll start to get soft and mushy. If you waiting for a large amount so you can make sauce or powder you might as well pick them right after they turn color, clean then slice them in half right down the middle, and freeze them. That way you can keep harvesting all season without pods going bad.

Hawaiianero said:
Pick them when they're ripe. You can wait a day or two after they fully turn color but don't wait too long or they'll start to get soft and mushy. If you waiting for a large amount so you can make sauce or powder you might as well pick them right after they turn color, clean then slice them in half right down the middle, and freeze them. That way you can keep harvesting all season without pods going bad.

Thanks for the great advise!
But as I do not know what kind are the peppers I do not know what colors they should be...

oren_a said:

Thanks for the great advise!
But as I do not know what kind are the peppers I do not know what colors they should be...
I think it's safe to say the first 3 are ripe when they turn red. The 4th one looks like possibly a Bhut jolokia (Ghost), probably red but not 100% sure. What type of peppers are they supposed to be? In any case, whatever color it turns into from green will likely be the color of a ripe pod.

Hawaiianero said:
I think it's safe to say the first 3 are ripe when they turn red. The 4th one looks like possibly a Bhut jolokia (Ghost), probably red but not 100% sure. What type of peppers are they supposed to be? In any case, whatever color it turns into from green will likely be the color of a ripe pod.
Thanks, I started harvesting the red from the first 3 plants. about the fourth, I do not know what is it. I lost the tags. I will wait to see what color they turn.

After looking without my beer goggles I don't think that 4th one is a Bhut. Not sure what it is. Did any off that plant turn color yet?

Hi,
The first three tuned red, but the forth is looking like it turning white

Thanks.

Back