• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Pepper drop & Shade cloth question

Occasionally I find where pods just starting have dropped off. Is this due to the heat (and it is hotttt)or possibly overwatering (or both). Also, if I put up a shade cloth to filter some of the sun will it still be enough sun to produce peppers. Right now they get sun from about 10-2;30. I have a Datil that seems to love it and it gets a little more sun than the others and seems like you can't overwater, probably has 60 pods with more to come, Im excited to see how they will taste. Also, they are all in pots (plants in question are Habaneros, Jalapeno, Thai dragon). Thanks for your thoughts.

It is most likely the heat, anything over 90 can cause some drop, although normally is blossoms and not actual fruit. Could be over watering if your potting mix does not drain well enough or stores too much moisture. Can also be caused by fertilizer burn or, on the other end, a lack of nutrients. I won;t comment on the shade cloth, you only get around 5 hours of sun per day and it may hurt the plants more than help them to shade them at all. I would focus on other factors before using shade cloth, personally.

If a plant is dropping flowers or pods then shade it definitely. Once the pods are big enough they shouldn't drop from heat. If older pods are dropping then its either way too hot for it or there is something else happening. You can always put it in more sun to hasten ripening later. That's what I think anyway.

I have grown Habaneros and such on and off through the years but only the last two have I been serious about trying to get a good yield. This year I grew mine in containers and mostly left them in the sun earlier on. Even though they were growing well (despite the spider mites) it started getting real hot and they were dropping flowers, only setting a few pods. Then I hit 'em with some neem oil and moved them into the shade and they're starting to burst with fruits.

I know "they" say you should give them full sun but I'm wondering if that's really necessary. Mine get a couple hours of morning sun and they seem to be doing rather well.

+1 on the heat. As soon as the heat came (100+) I was getting a ton of flower drop. Everything seems to have since stabilized and even when I get those temps I'm good. I would stick with the shadecloth until/unless you find negative signs of lack of sunlight.

Sometimes I think people who write `full sun` live in the dimmest part of England where the sun is a slightly lighter patch of cloud. Where I live full sun in summer would kill any chilli plant. I put up shadecloth and make sure they are in full shade in the afternoon sun.

Back