• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Pellet Question

New grower here.  I started my seeds in peat moss pellets, and have a couple sprouts.  My question, is;  Am I supposed to remove the fabric case when I transplant to a pot of some sort?  I initially didn't think so, but the question of it just popped up in my head.

Something else I like to do, which is totally optional, and probably not very common either, is to pull away maybe the bottom 1/3 layer of the pellet before transplanting to a pot/Solo cup.  I transplant as soon as I see hooks, so the roots are never exposed when I do this.  I want the roots to reach the nutrient rich soil a.s.a.p.  The less peat they have to grow through to reach the soil, the better.  Again, this is just something I decided to do.  You can decide whether it has any merit.

I don't take them off, the roots seem to poke through just fine for me.  Plus, I'm kind of ham-fisted and I would probably just end up damaging the seedling if I tried to take them off.

If no roots are coming through the net, it would be very easy to remove them, just cut the net with small scissors, take small cuts while pulling gently one side of the fabric and it's off.
As Smiley said, be gentle, as you can easily break them.

If roots are already out of the net or just visible on the net, like this:

jiffynet.png

it's impossible to remove the net without hurting the roots, so it's far better to leave it on.

Roguejim said:
Something else I like to do, which is totally optional, and probably not very common either, is to pull away maybe the bottom 1/3 layer of the pellet before transplanting to a pot/Solo cup.  I transplant as soon as I see hooks, so the roots are never exposed when I do this.  I want the roots to reach the nutrient rich soil a.s.a.p.  The less peat they have to grow through to reach the soil, the better.  Again, this is just something I decided to do.  You can decide whether it has any merit.

I'm assuming I got some old pellets, or that I didn't properly water them, but my first grow in Jiffy Pellets would have benefited from this procedure. I did everything I could to saturate the pellets when setting up my tray for planting, but some of them would not seem to unpack completely. Later, when transplanting (and culling the weak) I took several pictures like this:
hmxfmyZl.jpg

I've found that some pellets take longer to expand. I squeeze them around the center to soften them up a bit so water can penetrate. I'm coming to the conclusion that straight peat moss in a 72 cell tray would be just aas good, and easier, too. Maybe no need for seed starter mixes. Just a thought.

I soak them overnight in tea then squeeze/ crush them a little when i pop the seeds in. If they are the older type with the soft mesh i leave them. The newer type with the harder mesh i cut in a few spots when they get potted up which is right away.

Back