• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Peat Moss and Pepper Seed

By twigs is more or less composted pine fine? Or is it sticks? I like how your plants look in it.
Yeah...probably composted pine bark and twigs, but some of it is a bit too big is what I meant by twiggy. It isn't too bad though, and the results speak for themselves. I like it and will put most of my 40 or so potted peppers in it this season. I will probably do 5 in a home mix and 5 in a mix my compost/worm castings with the Kellogg soil and see which do best.

The Organic Choice contains Peat Moss - I looked on their labels at the store today. It's odd that it ranked high in his experiment if the peat moss is an issue. I fondled the bags a lot and the Orchid Mix didn't seem to have so many solid chunks like other orchid mixes. Maybe some others have tried this stuff and will chime in, too. Especially about the peat moss issue in general.

Organic Choice potting mix by miracle gro is 55% composted bark.

I will try either one patio plus or mg organic. It looks like patio plus is good.

Yeah...probably composted pine bark and twigs, but some of it is a bit too big is what I meant by twiggy. It isn't too bad though, and the results speak for themselves. I like it and will put most of my 40 or so potted peppers in it this season. I will probably do 5 in a home mix and 5 in a mix my compost/worm castings with the Kellogg soil and see which do best.

yeah, when planting seeds, i took out some of the huge pieces out... so far out of 40 seeds i germ'd in this soil, only 4 didn't sprout... but i think it's also because i got some bad seeds... i planted 3 naga morich and none of them sprouted...

yeah, when planting seeds, i took out some of the huge pieces out... so far out of 40 seeds i germ'd in this soil, only 4 didn't sprout... but i think it's also because i got some bad seeds... i planted 3 naga morich and none of them sprouted...

How long ago did you put them in? I might have some Naga that I could throw in to the train so you get some going this year, I'll have to check.

Ok...so I have Dorset Naga which is supposed to be basically the same pepper different name, and I have Bombay Morich which is slightly different but along the same lines. I only have 10 of each and haven't germed any myself yet, but I could throw a few of each in for you if you like. I have other seeds planned for the main train, but these would be specifically for you to take if you want them.

I'm doing a similar experiment - some sifted orchid mix with half the seeds and my general use recycled
potting soil, compost, peat, perlite that always start my veggies in for the other half. The orchid bark is 100%
forest products, and had skinny bark and sliver pieces maybe 1-1/2 to 2 inches long on down, which I removed; the
sifted mix was very fluffy and light with some small pieces, maybe 3/8 minus inches or so. One bag was 50%
larger stuff, and the other was maybe 20% larger stuff. Quite a variation in product composition, I think.
My Heinz 57 is heavier, of course, but drains well. I just put the seeds in the mix yesterday.

How long ago did you put them in? I might have some Naga that I could throw in to the train so you get some going this year, I'll have to check.

Ok...so I have Dorset Naga which is supposed to be basically the same pepper different name, and I have Bombay Morich which is slightly different but along the same lines. I only have 10 of each and haven't germed any myself yet, but I could throw a few of each in for you if you like. I have other seeds planned for the main train, but these would be specifically for you to take if you want them.

um.. like 3 weeks ago now... i already transplanted most of my seedlings in solo cups... they're still in the humidity dome... i just layed a lot more different seeds down last night too...

i dunno, if you want to kick, that'd be tight... :)

Back