• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering hydro?

My first experiment into hydro has been a single c. annuum "sizzler" in a 10l pot with a 400l/h pump running through some garden hose with eight ~3mm holes cut in it. The plant has grown really well here it is about a month ago, it's not grown noticeably since. (I feed it GH Floramato & floramicro). (I used to have a 200l/h pump but it burned out when it ran dry. I think it was a better size, but they'd sold out)

DSC_0114.jpg

The tape measure's 1m tall.

DSC_0132.jpg

I got 80 pods from it (others are aji limon, ulupica and ulupica large)

Now it's getting colder and there's less light, I'm wondering what to do. I've overwintered a few plants in soil over the last couple of years & the thing that kills them is too much water (I think this has been the case for all of them). Now I'm thinking that overwatering and waterlogging won't happen with my hydro setup (?). I've not been convinced by experiments cutting back the plants other than for space saving if you've loads to overwinter & not much space, so I don't think I'll cut it back. And I'm thinking that it won't need much in the way of nutrients either - I don't really want it growing much because it'll get full of aphids & ladybirds don't seem to do so well over the winter.

So the plan at the moment is to put the plant in the front room where it will get some afternoon sun, leave it full size and cut its nutrients to minimal amounts. Any thoughts?

Cut it back, root and branch.

If you have less than ideal growing conditions, ie, little light,low temps nature will prune the plant back if you don't. If you prune it and don't let pathogens attack the plant which they do with stressed plants, the plant will be healthier. Rotting plant material also attracts pathogens.

Back