overwintering Over wintering question

Hi all. I have a question regarding over wintering. I have a couple of plants I'd like to try to carry through the winter, but am limited on space inside. My question is, would my plants survive if I kept them in a covered carport to keep them out of the frosts, or would they still be likely to die simply from the cold?

Peppers don't like their feet (roots) to get below 50F much. Given your location, that shouldn't be a problem most of your winter. Just bring them inside if the temps will dip consistently below 50F during the day. They'll handle some nights below that, though, as long as they warm up during the day.

I live in Chalmette and have never before attempted to over-winter any pepper plants.  Several weeks ago, one of our members, from New Iberia, wrote that over 80 per-cent of his peppers survive the winters for him.  He only lives about 12 miles more north than you.  I also, am hoping to over-winter about 30-40 plants this coming winter.  I don't remember if he grows primarily in-ground or in containers.

There is another post here regarding which plants and at what temps people are having success.  I'm hoping we get some names of peppers and temps at which they survive.

Those north, westerly and north-west winds we get during winter can dehydrate and kill plants.  Many people mistakenly blame the cool weather as the culprit.  Be prepared to provide adequate water during those dry winter months. 

In order to protect plants from  the infrequent frosts we get, I will cover with an old blanket or such.  I also plan on building a very inexpensive PVC low-tunnel using plastic film, for the even more rare occasions we get a freeze.  I will not glue the tunnel so I can take it apart and put it together easily and store it in a small space.  These clamps work well for a temporary set-up...

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/snap-clamps

Thanks for the info guys. Will keep them under cover if frosts are predicted, and make a choice on which to bring in if extended cold weather turns up. Don't mind losing a couple of plants if I can keep the others alive for a head start next season.

Back