• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Outdoor container garden

Hey everyone, bought a new place recently and the soil is pretty crappy so this year Im going to just do a container garden until next year when I have time to prep proper beds.

It wont be anything crazy .. maybe 16 plants... 4 tomatoes, 2 green beans, and the rest peppers ... probably 2 superhots of some kind (bhuts, 7 pod, butch T, fatalli, etc), several milder varieties ... volcano/hab/caribbean red... and some sweet bells or non-hots.

Im not sure when I should start germinating my seeds though. The climate here is weird... my last frost is sometimes as late as first week in June, and first frost in the fall can be usually around the end of October. So I do need to get a jump start on them.

Im adept at indoor growing ..... I have many T5 units and several HID's I could rig up if need be if it would be best to start them early to let them mature before going out in June.

I was thinking maybe as early as january/feb and just use the lights to keep them going until June when they go out.

Any suggestions?

Ozzz,

Where I live in Wisconsin zone 5 the conditions are about the same. Plants are much more productive starting in January then they are when they are started in March. The goal for me is to get them at least 10" tall. With your grow systems it may not take as long for you to reach that.

Have a great one,

Chad

This year here in Spokane I started in two waves:one in early Jan the next in mid febuary. This was a mistake... even mid Feb was too late for my liking.

If you have the light and are willing to pay the electric bill (which isn't much), there is no reason not to start them a month ago. The earlier they are started, the larger they will be when you put them outside.

yeah, what Jeff said.

and i loved it when you said "It wont be anything crazy.....just 16 plants"

Ha ... well thanks guys. Hell Im gonna pop some beans tonight then ;)

Anyone have a recipe for a brown vinegary type sauce used with Chocolate Bhuts?

Im thinking maybe some worchestershire sauce added for a little sweet smokey addition?

Maybe 1 cup worchestershire, 2 cups vinegar, 10 Choc. Bhuts, 4 tbsp cracked pepper, 1/2 yellow onion and 5 cloves roasted garlic?

.... and a partridge in a pear tree?

Container gardening works well for me. I can move them when I need to: for more sun, for less sun, away from pests, into the garage when storms are violent, etc. Just keep in mind that as water goes through the soil and out the drainage holes in the bottom of the container, any soil additives/fertilizers will eventually be depleted. You may need to feed plants more often due to this occuring. Keep untreated mulch or hay about 1 1/2-2" thick on top of soil to keep soil from drying out too quickly. You can purchase 2-gallon buckets at Dollar Tree for a buck and 5-gallon buckets are less than three bucks at Lowes. Drill plenty of 1/4" drainage holes around the sides of the base and all across the bottom. Put a couple inches of drainage rock in bucket prior to adding the best soil you can afford. Then check those plants everyday. You gotta give em lots of love.

I'm gonna be doing container garden regardless.

Even if I had a garden to plant in, I wouldn't.. When typhoons blow in a few times a year I don't want to have wasted time raising from seed only for them to be destroyed.
We usually get a 24 hour warning, so I can bring the pots indoors safely.

Ha ... well thanks guys. Hell Im gonna pop some beans tonight then ;)
with those lights you'll probably have beans to harvest by the end of Jan. as long as you have a bush or half runner variety they shouldn't out-grow their space. good luck

Well All my previous indoor superhot grows the plants ended up at 3-4' in only 3 gallon containers! But since Im going to do them outdoors I dont mind to much, basically Ill just keep them healthy until its time to harden them off.

Also, I am a medical patient so I have indoor grows going constantly and I think Im going to devote half of my indoor space to some chillis year round since I have way more light power then I need to stay within my legal limits.

Currently the seeds I have on hand are bhut (red, yellow, and chocolate), 7 pot (yellow - pepper lover and THSC), butch T scorp, Trinidad scorpion maruga blend, orignal trinidad scorp (red and yellow), fatalli, Douglah, Peach Hab, and chocolate hab.

Out of that selection... if Im going to select a few plants to grow indoors permenantly ... which do you think would be better suited to it? Obviously the habs would do better .. but out of the superhots what do you think? Im thinking I can give a 400w HPS and a full 4'x3' space to a single plant if I wanted to .. in a 5 gallon container. Also I have some large T5 units that are running that I think the habs would do well under.

I was thinking maybe a either a single red bhut, TS maruga blend, or 7 pot in a 5 gallon bucket under the 400w HPS in a 4'x3' space and then two plants of a variety that will produce at a smaller size under the T5's in 2 gallon buckets. <--- maybe a douglah and 7 pot or peach hab and douglah.

I guess my real question is which of the varieties I have above will produce better at smaller size in smaller containers? I suspect the red bhuts need a large bucket and good light...and in fact may not be the best choice for a permenant indoor plant at all.

Suggestions?

with those lights you'll probably have beans to harvest by the end of Jan. as long as you have a bush or half runner variety they shouldn't out-grow their space. good luck

What do you mean by bush or half runner? I dont know that Ive ever heard the term half runner??

Local garden centers generally throw away the planters that trees come in. The ones I'm talking about are usually about 13 gallons which is a decent size for container garden use. I usually offer them 1$ a piece and they tell me to help myself (from the dumpster lol).

Black pots heat up a lot more than white pots in the summer sun. At least where I am it makes a big difference in overall plant health. I have used old t-shirts, pillowcases, sheets wrapped around my dark pots. This year I'll try white spray paint.

What do you mean by bush or half runner? I dont know that Ive ever heard the term half runner??

haha, green beans. your first post said you were planning "2 green beans", then you said you were "gonna pop some beans"

i asumed you were going to start your green beans. bush is a type of bean that grows more as a bush and half runner is a cross between a bush and full climbing beans like McCastlen (sp).

Back