vendor Ordering plants as opposed to seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like insects and uncertainty of what you actually get are two major issues, so I'll stick to growing from seed for now.

In reality, the risk exists for both seeds and live plants. I think it just sucks more when you have bought live plants and they end up being something different, due to the fact you have probably spent much more on them.

I ordered from CCN last year, and have already done so for the coming season. I had no problems with nasties when the plants were opened. They have a good reputation on this site. BakersPeppers, a member here, is also selling plants - you might want to PM him.

I'm not saying don't buy live plants. I'm just of the opinion that if you do: take precautions (and treat for pests) regardless of how reputable a source is! :P

Having to spray your new arrivals once as a precaution is nothing compared to what you might have to go through if you end up with an infestation of something.

Not arguing the reputation of any source here either, I'm just extremely cautious when it comes to this sort of stuff....

I am not going to bad mouth CCN.. All my plants grew true and the service was professional. I do have to say that the roots were very underdeveloped and the plants were hurting and a bit yellow when they got here. I can understand the yellowing because they are shipped in the dark. I live only about 6 hours from the nursery so if you are in further states it might be an issue.It took the plants a looong time to bounce back and I had a cyclamen and or broad mite issue. I won't say they came with my plants but I never had them before. I would use them again if I needed to. Just my 2 cents. Hope it was helpful.Their selection is ludicrous... 500+ varieties. Just not all tge super hot varieties.

Buying superhot plants vs seeds can be good if you don't have much skill with germinating, it will save you all the hassle as that can be the hardest part in growing. Sure you can probably get 10 -20 seeds for the price of one plant but if you aren't that experienced it could probably save you money. Plus you may get a head start to the season because a lot of nurseries will start early in a heated greenhouse.

i've probably gotten roughly 100 plants total from CCN over the years and had no health/insect problems with peppers. I was less than overwhelmed with the health of some exotic eggplant I tacked on to my order one year however.

I think seeds are always cheaper and really aren't much work. Put some soil in a cup, plant the seed, keep tem moist, and put them in a window sill. It really is that simple, and you often get 10+ plants for the same price as one plant. Only problem I've found with seeds is that there are so many seed suppliers riding the trend train and shoveling off garbage seeds that you really need to do your homework.

Seeds are preferable certainly, but if you decide to expand your flock later in the season sometimes plants are the only way to go... I found an ebay seller last year that I'm going to try again this year just for quality assurance: brutus611

He had several superhots for sale and some other varieties, I bought 2 Datils from him. Admittedly they were 7 bucks a pop, but when I received them they were 8 inches tall and had huuuuge leaves. The stems were nice and thick too, and absolutely no signs of pests or damage in any way. Best of all, they produced true.

Granted, given the issues with ordering on ebay, I'm going to buy a couple of his superhots this year just to see if they are as advertised, so I'm giving him a tentative maybe-sort-of-thumbs up. Maybe this is someone lurking on the forums here... ?

But anyway, if you're going to order plants CCN is definitely the way to go... I was extremely satisfied with them last year.

I did say that I was going to stick to growing from seed, to not cheat myself out of the total experience :D

Besides, I rather enjoy the "expectant father" feeling of checking on the pellets twice a day for the first signs of life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back