• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Oh no, another lighting thread

But with a different slant. This is not about what type of light is best - it is really a different type.

I'm fixating on researching growing tomatoes in a Greenhouse, especially in northern areas and ran across an interesting study. It says, in part:

"Using supplemental HPS lighting (100 micromoles/M2S1 for 18 hours/day) a salable yield of 9.3 kg/M2 was produced during the midwinter cropping period 28 December to 18 January 1984. The unlit control crop produced 3.9 kg/M2 salable fruit during this period of low natural radiation."

If my conversions are correct, 100 micromoles/M2S1 of HPS light equals ~8200 lux. This light provides 15,000 lux and covers about 30 inches, so I should be able to get away with using three of them to cover 15 linear feet.

Keep in mind, this is supplemental light, not the sole light source.

Mike

One thing to keep in mind is yes at the bulb that is the lux rating, but the further away from the bulb the light gets, the lower the lux. Just food for thought.

rds,

What caught my attention was how a little additional lighting made a significant increase (about 11 pounds per sq. meter) in additional fruit. I have two of the lights I linked to already and at one foot away, they cover about 32." I can raise them to two feet away and still get the ~8,200 lumens I need but cover close to six linear feet. I would need just six lights to cover two 15' rows of plants. The cost of electricity would be $50 per month but should mean an additional 150 pounds of maters.

Mike

Back