• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting New Lights for Next Season

In preparation for next year, I have just built two lights using 36W PL-L lamps. I used a 150W metal halide lamp last year to raise them for two months during germination, but it didn't really give the results I wanted. The light was a little too concentrated directly below the lamp and didn't give enough spread. The heat was also an issue for the plants directly below the lamp, despite a number of fans running. I also have a 250W HPS fitting in the garage, which I am yet to try.

The lights were built using 0.8mm alu as a reflector. Tridonic electronic ballasts and a pair of 36W PL-L lamps per fitting. I was going to use stucco aluminium as the reflector, but the place I was buying it from didn't have it in the correct dimensions without buying a massive sheet. I don't think the plain aluminium will have much of a negative effect on the light spread.

Marking out:

Electronic ballast mounted:

Wiring Up:

cont'd...

...Testing:

For now I'm using a colour 830 and colour 840 per fitting, but may change the 830 for an 865 if I happen to come across any.

Total cost was £45 for both fittings.

It's a compact fluorescent lamp. I think PL was the Philips trademark. The -L is used to signify a twin tube long lamp.

No, it's just a plain basic sheet of 0.8mm aluminium which I bent into shape. It has a marked effect over using just bare lamps, so that's good enough for me :)

Back